Saturday, December 09, 2006

Armchair warriors

No sooner had the conclusions from the Iraq Study Group come out then conservatives attacked en masse ("ridiculous" said Rick Santorum). The true righties like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh were quite willing to lose both Houses of Congress to the Democrats, the War was more important, now they are saying James Baker and Lee Hamilton's recommendation that we pull out of Iraq no later than early '08 is a shameful "cut and run", a pathetic running up the white flag of surrender. Even if you disagree with them as I do you have to admire these conservatives just the same, they are quite content to lose even the White House to Democratic control to push harder for the war which they know to be unpopular. It wouldn't be my political strategy but it is a principle I guess they are willing to go to defeat on.

First Man Bill Clinton.People who masturbate your mind

2 comments:

  1. Thing is, Col. Oliver North was on Fox pretty much counterpointing many of the Baker/Hamilton report, this coming from military people in Iraq. I am not saying their report is wrong, but gee it does seem to pander to the polling data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a guy who's never been to war it would be easy for me to talk and say let the war rage on for another 20 years so long as we eventually obtain a victory there. I don't know, put a rifle in Sean and Rush's hands and send them off to Iraq and they might piss in their pants. Also, it's a good mental exercise to question our original positions from time to time, I've asked myself whether I should have been more supportive of the war in the past and I would say it'd be a good thing too if more conservatives questioned the war a little more. We might still hold on to our first positions but we might be more nuanced and flexible which is a good thing. As it stands now we are just a bunch of hopeless ideologues, both left and right, talking over each other.

    ReplyDelete