Sunday, December 10, 2006

Americanism and God

Which is more important, love of God or love of country? For me the answer is self-evident, if love of God leads me to conclude the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were wrong actions, for example, then that's the way I go. As important a national value as patriotism is it only becomes offensive if it takes on the aura of a state religion, a substitute for God, jingoism that blinds us to our own nation's faults, the political worship of Americanism, that only we are the moral beacon of the world and must guide, if not force, the rest of the world out of the dark cave of barbarism. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow, it is said by conservatives who have an eye on Hollywood these days, spews anti-American rhetoric almost on a daily basis and it's probably true but it needs to be pointed out that when social conservatives do this, as when they criticize our cultural moral retardation on such issues as human feticide and forced starvations, they can still hold on to their mantle of love of country. Should a liberal do this, as when he focuses attention more on economic disparities let's say he is said to hate his mother land and may even be called a Communist. Sean Hannity couldn't believe we were starving a young disabled woman to death in a hospice in Florida in March of 2005 and yet he is still an unquestioned icon of patriotism, let a liberal like Al Franken talk about how we don't help the poor in this country and he's a left-wing turd. Just my thought for the day.People who masturbate your mind

8 comments:

  1. You are very right, when it comes to deciding right vs. wrong, our moral compass should be directed by God and not country. Thanks for the reminder to me that its not right to justify the means to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I can't say it's wrong to be killing unborn babies and in the next breath say what Harry Truman did was right if I expect to have any credibility. Here are my priorities right now:

    (1) love of God
    (2) love of family and friends
    (3) love of my fellow man who is less fortunate than me

    love of country could be #4, 5 or 6 for me. For some it's become a religion and seems to be the deciding factor in their conception of right and wrong, I don't know if this is what Gwyneth Paltrow was alluding to. Patriotism is important but it should be put into its proper perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey asshole, do you know what our boys over there be fighting for? to protect our way of life that's what, for my freedom to watch "Fuckfest #47" and "I Married a Semen Demon" in the privacy of my own living room home movie theater with my gigantic plasma tv with the phony orgasmic groaning of Jenna Jameson pumping through my stereo speakers. It probably won't happen 'cos I can't relate to real women but those boys also be fightin' for my God-given right to take my gal to an abortion clinic if need be. leftie pinko commies like you should be flushed down the nearest toilet like the disgusting turd you are. God bless America!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you have your priorities set right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should mention that when the Hollyweird people do take a stand on social issues (such as poverty) that I actually think they have redeeming qualities afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Rush thinks they do this because they feel guilty over all their vast wealth and it bothers them, rich female celebs like Sheryl Crow are not going to go out with the average guy so if he writes her a love letter or two they call him a stalker, but then it must bother them at night so they vote and preach the straight Democratic ticket. Danny Aiello seems a cool guy though, like that uncle when you were a kid who gets you outside after your father yelled at you and gives you a 5 and says go buy an ice cream cone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't question the motives of why people (famous or otherwise) help others, at least they are helping others and maybe will inspire people to do the same. If their intentions are not honorable, well then that is between them and God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt did alot of good in Africa recently but I don't like the way the two of them came together, it was adultery on Pitt's part by being unfaithful to his then wife Jennifer Aniston. How the media gloss over this just like they did with Donald Trump and Marla Maples when he was still married to Ivanka. Let Angelina help all the orphans over there that she wants but do it alone, just don't be a homewrecker. Hollywood morality, what an oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete