Sunday, February 01, 2009

My impression of Idol this season

First off it's a weird one and I'm not even talking about the contestants. The judges are acting goofy but it's an annoying goofy, like somebody at work who insists he's funny until someone smacks him inside the head. People can be functionally insane and still report to work in the morning (NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg) but the other thing is the calibration of the judging seems to be way way off especially Simon's. A bunch of chicks'll get up to sing, maybe not bad voices but something's off, maybe the timbre of their voices or their presence and they all go YES YES YES with nary a word of constructive criticism offered their way but then some guy with a great voice'll come on and maybe Randy will say NO and Simon will come up with something out of left field. It's not just me, I've heard others say this when discussing last night's Idol and for most of the show's existence I could find myself agreeing with Simon even if his sarcasm was over the top or uncalled for. I probably won't be watching most of it this time, the panelists have made it way too laborious and how successful are the ones who win in the end anyway? A for instance, after some singer auditioned Kara offered her critique and said something like "that's giving you a real solid." Like trying to be hip and coin her own expressions but what the hell's a solid? Maybe the FRINGE team needs to investigate.

14 comments:

  1. Last year was the first time we watched Idol, but I didn't watch the first round of auditions last year, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but yeah, I was thinking the bikini girl wasn't a good singer but she gets through, huh? Others I was surprised made it through. Do they pay everyone's airfare? You'd think they wouldn't hand those tickets out so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems our old friend Simon is easily duped. Another young gal before she sang gave Simon her little cute dog to hold while she sang and it seemed to work, an ok voice but none of the criticisms he even gives the better singers. At least Gordon Ramsay is Gordon Ramsay. Bikini girl should be selling hot dogs in Yonkers not up there auditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bikini girl should be selling hot dogs in Yonkers

    In the winter in her bikini??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.....of course not but we used to have 'em here in the big YO. The wieners were very overpriced btw but I guess that's because it was Pay-Per-View.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come to think of it I don't remember, I'm sure they were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not the memorable part of the experience, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bone to pick though. A cop ran the wagons, me and my friend talked to him a few times. So ff> a couple years later when I didn't make a full 10-second complete stop and guess who pulled me and someone else over to give me a ticket?

    Guy, you don't remember me?

    It all goes back to my original thesis, the real problem with the world today is nobody's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He had his quota to reach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it but still!! I was a regular customer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My early favorite is Danny, and that bikini girl is a real piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't she get kicked off yet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, she did, but now Playboy is calling her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hef is really scraping the bottom of the barrel lately. The late Tony Snow once called him "a saggy bag of flesh who has an eerie attraction to some women", one of his best lines not likely to be mentioned in any of his obits.

    ReplyDelete