Saturday, January 31, 2009

Should the penny become obsolete?

What I used to do with all those coins collected down through the years, mostly pennies, is wrap 'em up in those coin folders and take 'em to the bank. Now that's too tedious a chore so nowadays I just give 'em away in dribs and drabs to various charities. Ronald McDonald House for instance although even here you'd like to put more coins in the slot but you'd be holding up the line. Now as a pro-lifer giving to charity in any form ties in with helping the born, no I can't explain it but what is a penny's true worth these days? are they worth having around? I used to collect those older wheatstalk pennies or wheaties as we called them but they're not really worth anything so why bother? Even your average Indian head you may find in your backyard ain't worth snot even after you've given it a good vinegar bath. Wanna stimulate the economy get rid of the penny.

The Stimulus Bill. So how does spending millions of dollars to fight STDs help boost our economy? STDs are a public health issue plain and simple, not unimportant by any stretch and money needs to be spent in this area but as part of a stimulus package to get our economy back on track? I can't figure it and all these proposed millions for side isses dear to liberals they ain't gonna help us get out from under. Some skank down the block wants an IUD, how does that put food on my table? Malkin just wrote a column detailing how if the stimulus bill gets passed in its current form it'll mean a real windfall for ACORN, can it get any more depressing? Obama has called this the "era of responsibility" so how's this for sacrifice? let's all turn our pennies in, I'm tired of the little copper buggers.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, it is depressing, isn't it? I say we just need to keep contacting our representatives to vote no to stupid spending bills wrapped up as so-called stimulus packages.

    As for pennies, I would think the cost/benefit analysis of keeping them vs. ditching them would make sense to ditch them, good post, Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a huge waste. Did you know that it cost more than a penny to make a penny? No wonder these idiots are bankrupting us, everything they do costs us more than it's worth!

    I got real ambitious one day last year and sat down to roll pennies. A few hours later I had them all rolled except for a hundred or so wheat pennies. When all was said and done, I had rolled $37.50. When I figured out the exact dollars per hour for my effort, I would have been better off throwing them away. It came out to $9.22 per hour, and that didn't even include a round trip to the bank and the time at the tellers window.

    Now, when I get my change from whereever, I leave my pennies on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth said:..."I say we just need to keep contacting our representatives to vote no to stupid spending bills wrapped up as so-called stimulus packages."

    Yeah, that will help. Contact all 3 of our Republican representatives!! You and the rest of them that are left could start a good gin rummy game.

    Maybe you should have thought of that BEFORE you spend election day sitting on your sofa and knitting. instead of supporting the republican party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. McCain would be pushing for the same kind of stimulus crap, David, didn't matter who I voted for or against.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an interesting analysis Joe, I never did that but it's true. I used to go with my friend to Central Ave. a lot here in Yonkers and when I got a few pennies in change I chucked 'em on the ground and he went "what are you doing?" I said they're worthless to me and if anything the couple of homeless travelers here could pick 'em up. If I ever got real friendly with one of these vagabonds I'd give him my whole collection, that's how I feel about them. Yeah Joe, a couple of times I spent a couple of hours organizing my loose pennies and was surprised at the lower total than the one I had in mind and then your hands smell like copper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Beth Dave, McCain's liberal enough that by now you'd think Obama would have offered him a slot in his administration. I read a thing in my paper the other day that more CEOs are dining at McDonald's these days and they had a couple of photos of their pissed off expressions. My heart goes out to them (NOT).

    ReplyDelete