Monday, March 30, 2009

A funny story

Seems there was some young African-American librarian who used to commute to work everyday by subway. Very clean-cut with glasses, not bad looking and in New York there's a lot of crime so he's sitting there in this very crowded train one day and there's a wanted poster of the latest perp wanted for rape/assault and he's getting a little nervous and concerned because he's thinking "hey, that looks like me!!"

Former Yankees Third Baseman Graig Nettles once wrote a book, "Balls", and when a hot book first comes out there's usually a long list of reserves at the Circulation Desk at your local library and so this woman comes up to get her copy and asks "do you have Balls for my husband?"

5 comments:

  1. You need to get away from the library computers me thinks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. They truly are agitating at times. Went to a close-by library after work on Saturday and just barely logged on when some old guy comes up to me and asks me if I'm gonna be long. This at a library where you simply can reserve a computer for yourself at the central computer but I guess some folks prefer the old ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes these innocuous things get skewed around. When I moved west, I determined to plant a
    Buffaloberry since they were mentioned by Lewis & Clark. Went to a local plant nursery and stood in a long line. Finally got to the desk and enquired "You got any Buffalo berries?" The guy looked at me and the folks behind, rolled his eyes and asked "So..what's the punchline?" Ended up getting one.
    Which turned out so thorny that every time the kids got stuck in it we practically had to use the
    'jaws of life' to extract them.
    I chainsawed the danged thing out couple years back....

    ReplyDelete
  4. BB, when are you gonna get yourself a blog, you have some very interesting observations you could be writing about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad always had trouble with certain words, pronounced them too literally so one day he walks into a department store to get some Faberge scent for my Mom and says to the clerk "do you have any FAY-BERG?", clerk said no. Sister once had a Siamese cat she named Sake after the drink and called him Sockwells or something for short, nickname so one day she goes out on the porch and calls out "Sockwells, Sockwells!" and some good-looking construction guy with his shirt off comes over and says "what?" Turned out he was named Sockwells too, I mean what are the chances of that happening??

    ReplyDelete