Saturday, March 17, 2012

Thoughts on the Tyler Clementi/Dharun Ravi case

Instead of summarizing this tragic case myself here is the link: http://news.yahoo.com/former-rutgers-student-convicted-webcam-case-155436220.html
Why oh why did Dharun Ravi give up that sweet plea deal? He could eventually be deported to his native India as a result of his conviction on all 15 counts including invasion of privacy a no-brainer and the more gray bias intimidation charge. Even the judge in the case found the NJ statute muddled and I remember Sean Hannity once discussing hate crime laws in general saying how they punish thought. If an obviously gay man is mugged is it because of his orientation or because he just came out of an artsy museum with his boyfriend and this points to some affluence? I have a Non-Opinion in this case, I've read several divergent commentaries and they all sway me to some degree but basically Ravi was convicted of a hate crime here. That's always a difficult thing to do to police somebody's head but then again there were the tweets and the texts although many friends said he harbored no strong anti-gay animus. What if the original tryst were of a heterosexual nature would it have been caught on cam too? You see that's the difficult part at least for me to get inside someone's mental universe although by pretty much universal consensus even among Right and Left Mr. Ravi is some serious species of Jerk. Of course there's the requisite jokes that now Ravi will be raped in prison but the judge will not sentence him to be raped in prison and the whole issue of prison rape needs to be highlighted and not made light of. Is a bad toilet also part of the punishment? There's a strong and I mean strong social conformity bias in Society. Just the other day a woman co-worker asked why I'm not married. I thought it a rude and prying question and I would never think to ask this of another co-worker and while I don't agree I can well understand the genesis of the whole hostile workplace environment construct. Why should you be uncomfortable when you work or go to school, when you're laboring or studying? at a minimum it's very distracting. I'm not gay but the woman after posing her very personal question may as well have stuck a pickle in her cheek and moved it back and forth. The case opens up a much needed national discussion and I'm not sure if it was the right verdict or the wrong one and I know you gotta come down with Instant Opinions these days like Sanka. I'm very big on nuance and intent and am fluid in my thinking and would probably aggravate the other jurors no end, a modern day Henry Fonda keeping everybody from going home. Dharun Ravi was not charged of course with causing Tyler Clementi to jump off the GW Bridge in September of 2010 but let's be honest here that's why the whole case was brought to trial in the first place for closure purposes and a debt to Justice in this young man's death. So chime in here and convince me of your position I'm swayable.

7 comments:

  1. He'll do about 3 years, he go what he deserved,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think ten years is too harsh though. Never understood our legal system anyway something about being an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddy that was a gud post
    lot of quality stuff and essential information
    2008 Jeep Commander AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Ravi passing up that sweet plea bargain where he would have avoided prison time and done community service instead:

    I've been fairly anti-gov't my whole life and soapie might disagree with the following but it's my pragmatism again and that is when the Gov't has you by the balls sometimes you have to say uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GEEZ MAN I want soapie's libertarian thoughts on hate crime laws in general, trying to get some meat to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about this story of which this post refers. Regardless, I do no support hate crime legislation.

    Someone isn't more dead simply because they might have been murdered for being black, gay, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that'd be your position just wanted to be sure. We already have laws against rape and murder and robbery and assault so it's as if to say if a straight white guy is robbed or spyed upon or whatever it's somehow less horrible.

    ReplyDelete