A labor trend I've noticed for quite some time now. Not talking about the recently retired who have decided to come back for 20 hours a week which is allowed but the group I'm talking about if they passed away a week from now it wouldn't shock. Could be a combination of factors from the usual can't afford to retire to they just love the work experience so much and like being around other people. Some of them come back as consultants. Consultants on what old age?
Just drop your 2 cents in the fountain.
I went back 10 hrs per week after I retired. 2 chemists had replaced me.
ReplyDeleteOne blew up a bomb calorimeter and the other couldn't calculate the % yield of lead trinitro styphnate. Mostly, I sat in the office and smoked my pipe. $50 an hour, blew it on CB and tobacco.
I consider CB and tobacco to be essential purchases. Even if my advisor told me not getting them would save me from personal bankruptcy.
ReplyDeleteWondering if I can go back later as a chicken consultant at maybe 15 hours a week.
ReplyDeleteMost jobs you get yelled at over the most stupid minor stuff. Say you're 78 ot 82 and still working and you get yelled at. There's something undignified about that. You paid your dues.
Most people I know who retire early say at around 62 do so because their aggravated with their jobs for whatever reason. As one guy told me you don't need the stress.
ReplyDeleteMost ppl crave personal interaction. I think retirement isn't what it's advertised to be. For many it's a lonely slow death. So a job keeps ppl connected to others, as you noted.
ReplyDeleteSorry... that's three centavos...
I think those are good insights. The way I would put it is when you're retired you're forced to think of your own mortality. Now you're on that short Pier. A job as aggravating as it can be makes you feel alive. I still need to rest my weary bones someday though.
ReplyDeleteI see you didn't win the annual hotdog eating contest. Maybe next year.
ReplyDeleteI'd wind up in the ER quite frankly.
ReplyDelete