Tuesday, July 07, 2026

Take a walk on the feral side


 Northern Water Snake - Rye Lake, Harrison NY


Common Snapping Turtle - a back road by the Muscoot Reservoir in Somers NY


Both have rather cranky dispositions.  Don't mess with 'em.  Fishing years ago from a rowboat in Rye Lake and got fairly close to the serpent with a Pentax.  Only film back in the day.  The Snapper I saw crossing the road sometime during the summer.  Must've been the breeding season.  They do that.  Probably not good for your tires.  Some public beaches in the area when a snapping turtle is spotted in the water lifeguard yells "everybody out!"


Part of my amateur herpetological journey.

6 comments:

  1. Hard to believe some people have snakes as comfort animals. I say
    steer clear of wildlife, let them do their thing. Had a buddy in Junior High, we came across a huge snapping turtle laying eggs in the sand by the river bed. He was stupie, says "I'll teach her a lesson" and kicked her in the face. She clamped down on his foot, he screamed in agony went home with a bleeding foot which she finished laying all the eggs and covering them up, crawled off his a nice tenny shoe in her mouth. You suppose all the youngsters played with it. Some humans don't belong in the natural world, ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught garter snakes as part of a grade school science project. Won 1st Prize. Also got bit by a large one. You're gonna get snakes and turtles here. I don't do cougars and bears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been a fan of snakes. I remember an episode of the old Rifleman series with Chuck Connors and that gun. A rattlesnake slithers into Lucas's bedroll. In a convoluted way, including help from a prisoner, Lucas gets free and the snake is killed.

    I've hated snakes ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a news junkie. But the last few weeks all I find is Trump on all the channels, most of each day. Has he cot clones? Where does a news junkie go when all the new is junk news? Congrats on 1st place in advanced herpetology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New building in Manhattan not finished but already falling down. Is that the same construction company that did the $12 million reflecting pool job?

































    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently it was a Pfizer corporate building being converted to residential use. Beams buckled or something. They say they shored it up. Dunno. My doctor's former office was converted to private use. Might one still find medical stuff lying around?

    ReplyDelete