Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I'm not a fan of the Goracle by any stretch

it's just that here where I live in New York State we haven't had ice-skating in a decade at least. It's now received conservative orthodoxy to give no quarter to AlGore, I only remember when Boyd Corners Reservoir in Carmel NY had three feet of ice but that's years before I even knew what a blog was. Them were the days, went into a local bait and tackle store run by some heavy older gentleman with diabetic toes and we asked where is he one day and the guy at the counter says he's still upstairs having sex with some male college student. Now that's going way back, before Giggles (why not?) sprouted up everywhere up here. There was a market for ice cleats because there was a need for them back then. Anyways went fishing with some guy once and he told me to slow the car down which I did, the window was rolled down most of the way and he says to me in a rather loud voice "HEY, look at the midget!!" Poor guy, probably just came out of 5 years of intensive psychotherapy to be socially accepted...same guy said when we were fishing for bullheads during their spring run in the Hudson, if a condom came up during high tide he called 'em Coney Island Whites. I wanna see people ice-skating is all and not at some artificial rink where you can't skate backwards, freezing your little cherry balls off up at Woodlands Lake, that's what it's all about. The disproving of the Theory will take some time, the counter-evidence ain't exactly rolling in.

14 comments:

  1. I don't know what you are talking about, we have had the coldest winter ever, maybe 2 or 3 days it has been above freezing, most days we've been in the teens since the new year.

    And I can skate backwards in an "artificial" rink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z-Man, are you saying you don't have enough ice to skate on? Man you are MORE THAN WELCOME to come take ALL the ice off my roof and out of my driveway!!! Yoe must be living in the only warm spot in the northern half of the country. Even Kentucky is iced over--BIG TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the global warming people are saying it never snows, the trend is more subtle than that. That we haven't had any real ice-skating here in Westchester County NY in at least a decade IS a trend and as a trend you look for causes. Maybe it's because we're by the Atlantic but I am not of the alarmist school of thought, Manhattan going underwater from the polar ice caps melting but you can't tell me nothing's changed. Ship the ice over Joe, we'll get a couple rinks out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would venture a guess that the real reason these outdoor skating rinks are no longer around is either they are not profitable, or that there is too much insurance risk to it. I forgot that a few years ago, in Pennsylvania visiting my in-laws, my husband and I drove a ways to go to an outdoor skating rink, and it was pretty fun but not very crowded, so I am banking that they are not profitable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And hey, Z-man, we got another 8 inches of snow today, made for some slow going this morning. It was the lightest, fluffiest snow, like nothing to shovel, but added to what we already have, it really is an impressive amount of snow.

    Our many snowfalls though keep the snow clean looking, white instead of the ugly brown on the side of the road.

    Like I have mentioned to you, I don't know if it is because you turned me onto liking winter or what, but all this snow is just lovely to me, not annoying for a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. California is probably going to be rationing water soon. Here in the North, the lakes are down so low they're ugly. We've had some rain, but it's not near enough and the weather is unusually warm. It feels like Southern California. I never know whether to wear long or short sleeves. I hope that we eventually get a winter and we really do need the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So on my day off I drove up the line and did notice a smattering of ice fishermen out there but you can't always go by this. These ice fishermen are occasionally foolish so I go by the official it's ok to ice-skate flag up on the pole which hasn't been flying in years now. Over here it's just the ice is still too unsafe to venture out on, dunno if people still ice-skate like they used to but it seems the memories I had as a kid are just that, fond remembrances.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They don't let kids play tag at recess at some schools anymore for fear someone could get hurt (physically or emotionally!) so indeed their memories will not be like ours.

    We have indoor rinks, don't you? Very popular, new ones are trying to get built in communities around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're so protective now a days, that kids can't even experience life anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all goes back to that kid who kissed a girl in class and the parents were told he was a sexual harasser. Everybody's mental.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's going to get over 50 degrees today! Algore was right, the world is coming to an end!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am taking the kids to the ice rink (indoors) tomorrow though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I knows is as a kid I went to the local skating rink in Yonkers and one of the rules was you couldn't skate backwards, one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete