Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Shows that are not basic to the survival of the Republic

The View - basically coffee-table liberal political chicktalk with a token conservative thrown in for kicks but without the gravitas of say Washington Week in Review, in fact Gwen Ifill would ruin it by raising the median IQ there. You got your washing machine going, you're hanging clothes out on the line, ya gotta give the cat some dry food and get your shopping list going, you're not exactly magnetized to the set, it's more an ambience thing. Rosie O'Donnell was the closest thing they ever got to pure free speech but then they got scared.

The Simpsons - this spinoff from the Tracy Ullman Show has been on wayyyyy too long. Take it off already and go with some Hawaii Five-O reruns or bring back Oscar and Felix. Never my cup of tea, not a bad show but does it have to be around as long as Woolworth's was? will it outlast Nathan's? D'OH

The Tonight Show - Leno's last week, Conan starts June 1. Could care less who interviews Jennifer Garner for the fifteenth time. Once Conan's term ends maybe Ashton Kutcher can host since apparently taking this once legendary show off the air might cause the Earth to go slightly out of its orbit in which case Obama would HAVE TO intervene and maybe host the show himself.

SNL - pretty self-explanatory. Got some buzz with the Tine Fey/Sarah Palin thing but overall pretty drab. Sure it was groundbreaking in the '70s but that was how long ago? It'd be like keeping the Brady Bunch going long after the original cast members have left simply because of nostalgia. Ninety minutes too long, can throw a movie into that slot.

I call these institutional shows but I rarely watch them. Shows may come and go but there is never any serious thought to getting rid of any of THEM. I say they've more than run their course so put 'em in the vault already or in the case of The View simply burn them.

3 comments:

  1. The Simpsons?
    ..I plead guilty. What can I say,
    no taste? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the Simpson really still on? Seriously??

    I have never watched The View before, but did last week when Glenn Beck was on, and I can honestly say it was the dumbest show I have ever watched in my entire life. If this show has decent ratings, then I can see how this country is f'ed up.

    All the other shows you mentioned, way past their prime, hang it up already!

    As for your link, guess that answers where you find your most interesting images...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially the Tonight Show. Even on those unhappy nights when I sense the insomnia coming on I can't watch it. Lot of Simpson fans out there but I could never get into it but at any rate out with the old and in with the new.

    ReplyDelete