Wednesday, December 22, 2010

2010 - a strange year

but Happy Holidays just the same. So I pretty much have thrown off those few extra remaining pounds so am pretty much ending the diet thing today but got to thinking about our nation's obesity epidemic and here's why it won't get any better: we get contradictory medical and social advice. Now this really should be one of the happiest times of my life, I set a goal for myself and reached it but little did I know at the time but it would also be one of the most annoying times of my life and that's because Folks-at-Large don't know how to think about this issue, they get spooky. So the country's obese among us are counseled to lose weight sooner rather than later but ALSO make sure you eat enough since running parallel to this Important Issue in the msm for the past few years has been eating disorders like anorexia and so you're a porker getting these contradictory signals and so the human mind is naturally going to still err on the side of eating a little too much and then you'll bitch about how hard it is to lose weight but not to worry because Dr. OZ tells you to nosh all day and so the cycle just repeats itself because you can't think for yourself or God forbid out-of-the-box (what's that?). What the fuck is with all the crime shows on TV? I mean you always gotta have a couple and if I were to choose I'd go with Hawaii Five-O but it's everywhere, serial killers eating Cap'n Crunch out of skulls and I hear the UMA stalker has been arrested again for bothering her. What I don't get about the whole celebrity stalking craze is where in hell is the attraction to these vapid celebrities in the first place?? I blame E.T. and Access Hollywood. Mean People Suck, you know the type, always prepared with the cutting remark like a nail file or hanky to be whipped out at a moment's notice. It's reflexive like on my first job. You know when you and a person walking from the other way don't know how to pass each other? who knows why it happens but you feel awkward and so I try to pass this old crank coming into the lounge from the other way and she goes "I sure hope you don't drive" (shooooooppp, social dart firmly embedded in neck, thank you). It's weird but you'll remember this stuff years later usually when you're drinking. I already mentioned I lost all this weight but you feel like you did something wrong. I think we're an overmedicated country right now and so you have to put up with your bipolar boss every day because she has the right to be that way. Just give me a good Charles Bronson movie at night and I'm good. Have a good one and may the New Year be even stranger.

7 comments:

  1. I need your email, man. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I gave out my e-mail to a young guy at work, some psycho Polack and I think he fucked up my lovely Hannity Forum days. So one day he asks for my e as he was leaving this job for something better and so days go by and I never get any stuff from him like how's it going only I start noticing things like my cyberspace is all fucked up, Lee at Hannity said I was a retread or something. I have something to say about Fred the Fat Guy in my next comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's like this, Fred the Fat Guy has really started a serious diet, has for a few months now and it ain't easy but the pounds are starting to melt off his frame so Fred is feeling mighty good about himself thinking he's on the right track. OH but wait a minute, his friends and associates, his co-workers are a little concerned and they start asking him if he's

    a'ight

    if he's been sick or anything, Fred you're not eating?? so Fred the Fat Guy is taken aback and figures maybe they have a point, why their concern? and Fred remembers all the media coverage in the past about things like anorexia and figures he's been going in the other extreme from his old whaling days and so he begins to eat a little more now, has another meal a day now because you're supposed to have three because the Italian woman at work who looks like she belongs in some Boris Karloff flick said so and now the shit ain't coming off now anymore is it but at least he's healthy. Me? it took all my willpower to ignore these people, figured how could an anorexic weigh 200 lbs.? my ideal weight:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was stuck at work from Saturday 6AM until Monday 1230 PM and it was a whole new circle of hell for me, actually.. the room I stayed in was very nice, back room of the dental clinic, fresh sheets/towels/blankets, the shower has nice hot water and good water pressure, the couch wasn't bad, there was a tv I didn't turn on, a fridge and a microwave and a toaster oven but I still felt like a caged animal and no one should have to stay at their job for days on end. This isn't the first time I've been in this situation, with Hurricane Fran we were on a five day lockdown and I guess objectively that was worse but man all I had to eat was this microwave asian noodle shit and my digestion is already skittish and went completely haywire and let's just say I'm really glad I'm off til the 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a job as a means to an end and anytime they expect you to marry your job I got a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just different in the medical field. And you know it going in that to some degree your life is going to get subsumed into your job. If that's a huge issue then it's not the field for you to be in. It's all about the greater good and so on. I don't usually have an issue with it, I've worked every other weekend and half the holidays for most of my career. Just this time with my gut situation it was a bit much. I stayed one night about two weeks ago and that was fine... two nights was a bit too long, and I hadn't done my own packing, my husband did it all so I was sorely lacking in some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, it's one of those professions that takes priority like being a police officer or firefighter. Too many other jobs however ain't that important in the larger scheme of things and yet they treat it as such, say you call out sick it's somehow controversial.

    ReplyDelete