Monday, January 23, 2012

Church & Gov't - the Original Mistake

Now this is convoluted and I haven't really followed everything on the Pro-Life front like I used to when I got pro-life stuff in the mail back in the day (PLEASE please don't tell Janet Napolitano!!) but my pastor was explaining this past Sunday that due to something in ObamaCare, the finer print now all Church institutions like hospitals and universities will have to provide contraceptives and sterilization to their employees. OK so by now you know my thoughts, if sex is a private affair then so is birth control and leave me and everyone else the hell out of it. I mean why not hit me up for some lube and anal beads too while we're at it and I totally agree with my pastor regarding religious freedom and conscience exemptions but there's a BUT here and you knew that. The root cause and what John Kennedy once warned about is the Church and the Gov't getting in bed together. Once you work with the government, once you as a religious institution or body agree to some federal funds and yes it's always altruistic at first be it helping the homeless, getting immigrants set up and assimilated, low-income housing projects, drug rehab, whatever, once you get in bed with the Government you then have to do its bidding maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe in a year or two from now but THEY will be setting the Terms make no mistake. Take Catholic Charities which accepts some federal funds for their charitable work, laudable stuff to be sure but not that long ago they were told by you know who that they also have to place kids for adoptions with some gay couples because that's the law and so they stopped placing kids for adoptions altogether. The point is this, the Church should be the Church and the Government the Government so while I agree with my pastor I am somewhat agitated that the Church still doesn't get it, understand the root causes here. You wanna do something with Habitat for Humanity and work with Jimmy Carter and Bob Vila knock yourself out, have at it but your funds should be your funds and their funds their funds and may Obama stay out of it and just watch the Superbowl or go shopping with the missus or go on another Hawaiian vacation and crack open a coconut. Just be careful is all, you may have to pay for some poor worker's IUD down the road:)

11 comments:

  1. The Faith Based Initiative has been around awhile ...
    the idea being that religious charities were in place and doing a good job. I guess if you take
    Federal money, you take their
    'advice', sort of like foreign aid, where it doesn't seem to work so well, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If charities that receive government money refuse to abide by federal laws (like those that prohibit discrimination in hiring), they should no longer receive those benefits, and forfeit their tax-exempt status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Sat whether or not you and I agree with a particular church teaching is irrelevant here. I for one even though I've made sincere attempts over the years at understanding it do not agree with the RC Church's teachings on artificial birth control but having said that if that's Her teaching why should they be asked, nay coerced into violating it? You think gay folks are swell and that's cool but why should some religious institution be told they have to place kids for adoption with some gay couples? I mean you talk alot about your personal compartmentalization vis-a-vis abortion so why not here? Oh yeah I guess it's the Law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fine... you can believe according to your wishes and act according to them, but if you want government money, then abide by government rules.

    So if you don't like government rules on discrimination, tell the government to go blow and to take their money with them. That's all.

    It's not about what teachings I agree or disagree with. They can teach and believe in anything they want, and act accordingly, but not on the government's dime. Either you act according to their rules or you don't get the money. I think that's pretty simple and quite reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez Saty you could have written my blog for me. Isn't that what this thread is all about? Church should not get in bed with Gov't, it's that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you think of the letter read this weekend, Z-man?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean which one? We got a response from the new Cardinal-designate from NY Archbishop Timothy Dolan. I also read the one from the Catholic Bishops and the pro-life chair DiNardo, that was in our bulletin. The question is this, why does Obama want to divide people?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Question is, was this a huge mistake on Obama's part to do this in an election year, and piss off the Catholic voters? Look what the pro-life movement has done to push the Susan Komen foundation out of Planned Parenthood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't know that about Komen. Obama is so ideological that I don't think he even thinks that way. Let me reiterate something about subsidizing birth control that I just don't for the life of me get and I blogged about it recently. It is this elemental truth, as wonderful as Sex can be Sex is not medically necessary and since it is not medically necessary why should it be covered under insurance? It's just Sex, oh don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regarding "The question is this, why does Obama want to divide people?" He's like most of us:
    let us know when you have it figured out ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. BB for me it's philosophical. Have all the sex you want but why do I have to subsidize your birth control? Soap as a libertarian said the same thing once and the other question becomes if insurance is to cover this area does it only apply to married couples or practically anybody who wants to get their freak on?

    ReplyDelete