Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Today's blog

Sometimes I wish I were a recluse with money.

People who don't go to the doctors all the time only when they really really really have to have quietly accepted their mortality and come to terms. It is the secular humanists who have to protect their health at all costs, after all after this life what is there? There was once a book called The Denial of Death by Ernest Becker which had as its working thesis that practically everything we do in our culture is a denial of this very brute fact of our existence. People who die young because of bad habits like smoking and heavy drinking, is this tragic or merely unfortunate? Depends on how you view eternity I guess.

Mental disorders, are they always bad? Yes, judging by all those corny health textbooks we had to read in high school but I submit a person with OCD is a better and more efficient worker and if he runs any kind of food establishment and the health inspector is due the next day the chances are very high his business will pass. I know a chef who admits he's been hyper with ADHD ever since he was a kid and he says it helps him in the kitchen. Mental aberrations, make them work for you (caveat - though not in the Pugach sense!).

The National Review, every time some left-leaning literary figure dies they always seem to underrate his work (or is this just my overly active imagination?). Happened with the late playwright Arthur Miller of Death of a Salesman fame, he was no better than a high-school playwright at best according to an NR contributor, and now with the passing of novelist Kurt Vonnegut. I guess according to NR you can't be a great writer if you lean too far to the left so what are we to have, only right-wing lit? Don't bash greed, better to write about nothing, certainly not your own passionate convictions.

Young male Spanish deli managers - they're on top of you, they're behind you, they're humping you, you're taking a dump and they're paging you. Is this how they are in bed?

RE Today's Blog, to quote Dennis Miller, "of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong" (it's a blog after all).

4 comments:

  1. As always, some interesting insight, z-man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think many people feel stranded in civilization, we all just don't verbalize it as well as you, z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bodega basher you, you racist homophobic puerco, I have you arrested for hate crime and your blog taken down, pendejo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I myself have a touch of the OCD when it comes to work. One time years ago I said "let's get these rotisserie chickens out on the hot table and not leave them on the counter" so the bakery manager and everyone laughed like take it easy already but when it comes to health inspectors coming in unannounced and taking the temperature of a chicken on the table do you want a hot one or a lukewarm one? A shaving of OCD has put me in good stead over the years.

    ReplyDelete