Thursday, September 06, 2007

A seminar I'd like to attend

When I can I go to my main library in the big YO, it's usually on my day off. Sometimes I go twice a day, I will go after work on occasion. You notice things, libraries are magnets for certain kinds of people, a subgroup being the ones who don't work. On my day off I'll go there when the place opens at 9, there's always a healthy looking, 40-something man there waiting for the doors to open. He drives, not a jalopy either, so somehow he finds a way to pay his car insurance. He doesn't look like he's missing for a meal either and he jumps on the computer as soon as the doors swing open and he'll be there later too. In between he reads the paper. Now my day off varies but he's always there so you can safely draw the conclusion that he's not brown-bagging it pulling off a 9-5. Maybe he's making wanksta movies (uncle booty productions, who knows?) but then there's another man, slightly younger but also of a hale and hearty complexion who parks himself in one of those cozy butt-numbing soft chairs they have for reading and he tackles a novel every day, Robert Ludlum, you name it, just like the snake plant on the circulation desk he's always there.

I myself haven't figured out a way yet to make ends meet without working and believe me I've been trying. I'd be real interested to know if any of these gentlemen are holding any type of seminars soon, I'd like to sign up.

6 comments:

  1. Since they have the time maybe they can figure out the meaning of David Lynch's "Eraserhead." In the DVD 2000 edition of Eraser director David Lynch says in the 25 years it's been out nobody, not one reviewer, critic or plain old viewer has come up with an interpretation to match his. What's interesting is that an image of the woman with the chipmunk cheeks comes on at the end of the interview and the DVD says Back but if you, during any part of the very long interview, frame-advance you come to an image of Eraserhead pointing to this - "BOOTH, a 6 in a red circle, followed by X2416 going down in a vertical direction, a clue? "Eraserhead - a dream of dark and troubling thoughts" goes the original promo. It's intriguing, I wish I had the time to figure it all out, maybe if I file for a false disability claim (who can question your back injury?) I can go to the library and do some serious research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of us are in a rut, we do the same things everyday and even our thinking is in a rut. We're also in a political rut, the eternal battle of left vs. right. Hardcore rightie Michelle Malkin calls those of us who oppose the war "anti-war goons" in her latest column. It's all so boring after awhile. Did you know that taking different routes while driving opens up new pathways in the brain? but that's just the problem, our thinking has atrophied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynch has said his "Eraserhead" is all about his fears and anxieties while living in Philadelphia attending the PA Academy of Fine Arts. There is the heavy theme of isolation and 2416 is the Eraser character's girlfriend's address (2+4+1+6=13 and 13X6=78). I could spend all day looking up interpretations on the 'Net but I think there is something in Henry Spencer's past that is represented by the deformed baby and his beautiful neighbor is reminded of this, it's a kind of "you don't fit in" kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our ways are in a rut but it's a rut we don't seem to want to get out of. I breeze past all the endless pro-war commentary in the New York Post which I read every day, I go to gossip and other things. My father is a Navy WW2 vet, very conservative and pro-life and he votes that way but he was against this war from the start, went against his gut. "Why doesn't Bush go after Osama?" he always says. At least his thinking is not in a rut and maybe that's where I get my independent streak from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get people who call you after 9 at night, at that point with some Absolut under your belt you're in no condition to talk, I don't care what it is:

    "yeah, your friend just got run over and killed by a beer truck"

    "whatever" (we'll deal with this in the morning)

    McDonald's coupons, they're perverse, they're unethical, and most of all they're un-American. I had a coupon for $1 off any of their new Angus 1/3 pounders and the girl says to me that applies only if you're getting a sandwich and nothing else and I said who gets a burger without getting something to drink and so I paid regular price 'cos I wanted fries with that but maybe if I had bought the sandwich for a dollar less and come back 10 minutes later to get the rest...Mickie D's, I'm hating it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bush is not ruling out a military option to deal with Iran and her nukes (or potential nukes) but We also have the Bomb. People who make this distinction, by implication, are saying there is a moral use for nuking whole populations as in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and there are immoral uses (Iran giving a nuke to a terrorist). Honestly, there are no moral uses for nuclear weapons.

    Bush, by his constant saber-rattling, by his not ruling out not going to war against many countries (Iran today, who tomorrow?), he risks coming across as a madman and thus giving fodder to the Left. I might disagree with Iraq but it's a done deal, make the most of it but where does he think he'll get the troop strength to go to war with Ahmadinejad except through Charlie Rangel's unisex draft? I honestly find Bush more than a little disturbing to say the least, you don't have to be a MoveOn.org member to see a problem. His speech tonight? I have my army of over 100 DVDs at the ready, bring it on!

    ReplyDelete