Monday, March 17, 2008

Sesame Noodles

You can either use fettucine or else linguine noodles, box usually tells you something like "perfect in 11-12 minutes", Barilla fettucine takes a little longer but is preferred by more chefs these days. OK so after they're done you dump it all out in a colander in the sink and shoot some cold water through it if you're in a hurry. So now you've got your teriyaki marinade and sauce, I tend to use alot so as to have alot of sauce leftover, noodles can get that dried out look in short order after sitting in a bowl for a day or two. Grab that small bottle of hot chili sesame oil off the shelf, if they don't have that some mongolian fire oil is just as good. Don't be shy, pour the whole bottle into your mixing bowl to give it that kick. Get a bottle of, oh I don't know, a nice miso and sesame blend and, oh why not, a bottle of ginger-soy sauce and dump it all in. A bottle or two of sesame seeds and at this point some scallions, known as green onions in some recipe books but in the big YO we call 'em scallions, dice 'em up small with a good sharp chef's knife. Whisk up that baby and let it all blend and now add your cooled-off pasta and voila!, sesame noodles.

18 comments:

  1. Hey Z, seems like you are giving away your trade secrets here.

    And you are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a new feature here, call me the Rachel Ray of politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally should be working in a kitchen, Z, you have a talent that I think is being supressed at your current job. Anyone who talks about putting his heart and soul into something, as you mentioned in your quiche posting, THAT is what you should be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree agree agree. You know I kind of fell into cooking, a person or two took me under his wing and taught me some of the craft. Even though it is work as everything else is you can go home having a sense of fulfillment, fun even (although that's a strong term as relates to work). I can't get all jazzed up about the counter work, who can?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it sounds like someone taught you, but you have taken up ownership of it and make things your own special way. That is why you should be creating and cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I wouldn't mind becoming a personal chef to some rich person but we'd probably both be sinning in the Vatican's eyes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then I wish I were rich!

    Oh now I need to go back to confession!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems to me the Catechism of the Catholic Church has gotten alot bigger over the years, used to be a small leaflet of do's and don'ts but that was before the liberals got into the Church and swung it in a strong leftward political direction. In fact Beth with the exception of abortion and no premarital or gay sex I would say on most issues of the day the Church is a very leftward institution, more sins for us righties to confess in that little black box, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are probably right, look how they are jumping on the environmental bandwagon now.

    "Forgive me Father, for I drive an SUV"

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Say a 100 Hail Marys"

    (what I like about this blog is we can go from talking about sesame noodles to the Church, z being the cool mod here doesn't care if you go OT or off-topic, it's allowed and even encouraged unlike some other places which shall remain nameless)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I do think that is why I love coming here.

    You ROCK, z-man!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm gonna try this recipe tonite when my lady comes over, the quiche sounds a little complicated. The Best of Barry White, some candles, roses, a couple of glasses of Martell and some sesame noodles...I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll make the quiche and send it over, I'd go with the Lorraine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, now I am hurt, what, no quiche for me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. How 'bout the seafood quiche and I'll even splurge and use real crabmeat, not that imitation stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, you are forgiven, I can almost taste it, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since you can't use low-salt cheese it probably ain't good for the blood pressure but as they say once in a while should be okay. It's like I was watching "Endless Feast" starring master chef Todd English and they were discussing smoked salmon or something and Todd quipped "not good for the blood pressure but sure tastes good". Have to live a little is my philosophy, I believe someone once said you can't just live on bark and leaves.

    ReplyDelete