Friday, December 05, 2008

From a purely practical standpoint

for those of you who keep harping on why do we blog about abortion so much it certainly seems to get the most hits, the most comments going compared to some other topics and so pragmatically speaking what's wrong with it? We can blog all day about all and sundry topics especially the non-political but if abortion is what keeps the blogosphere all afire makes sense to me. Daniel hits on the theme of social conservatives, now most people equate social conservatives with opposition to abortion and so BINGO you have yourself a hot thread. Looking at my rather meager hitmeter I am almost forced to go with the topic, it's probably the only subject here that gets tao all excited. David999 recently put us all down as being stuck on stupid and that life doesn't revolve around abortion so where's his thoughts on pets, bad bosses, recipes, music, movies and blogging in general? No Dave we all know everything in life doesn't revolve around abortion but I think you like it when we discuss it anyway. If it's "oh not again!" then seems to me the best course of action would be not to leave any comments anyway on the abortion blogs, we'll see all the goose eggs and get the message.

Ya know?

7 comments:

  1. David actually started a blog and blogged about you and I, isn't that nice to hear? It's better to blog to complain about how we discuss abortion than actually discuss the issue itself.

    I'm thinking we struck a chord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant 'you and me', I hate when I reread my comments and notice my errors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that Beth, as long as he spells our names right. I don't know what exactly his gripe is though. I try to approach abortion often from a purely analytical and logical angle but maybe he's not from the algebraic school of thought. I just find it funny and ironic that people like Dave complain that we discuss the issue way too much and yet when I start all sorts of blogs about practically everything else where are the people like Dave? Truthfully I think they like to discuss abortion just as much as us but from their side of things so this issue of we talk about it too much is just a phony one imo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So have you been to Danny's blog today? things are really heating up over there. It's the same old choicers hanging out at another abortion blog, it's the same old points, the vinyl never changes and if there's one skip that runs throughout it's the choicers' absolute fixation with theological issues. But it pretty much proves my point, you have to go with abortion to get the hits going. They may deny it but it's everyone's favorite topic. Me? I'm just rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truthfully, Tao doesn't get all that excited over abortion...

    It is what it is....and that is not going to change. While the number of abortions have been decreasing I will safely assume that now with the economic downturn we will witness the revival of abortions...

    I just think it is humourous that you do not give a damn about life but discuss a fetus and you will get all worked up over it.

    If you believe that inequality and injustice exists in life then guess what...it exists in the womb too!

    If survival of the fittest is fine for society as a whole then survival of the fittest explains alot about abortion too.

    If you can life with your own illogic then be my guest....

    If you believe that society has no obiligation to the poor, or the newborn and they are cursed with their lot in life....then the same logic applies to the fetus...

    Its a tough world....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tao, caring for the welfare of the unborn and the post-born are not mutually exclusive, and your insinuating that we don't care about people once they are born is getting annoying quite frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But not only that Beth, it's logically absurd. Unless you're a total agoraphobic hermit recluse you live in the world and care about the people you interact with, it's a natural human impulse regardless of your politics so his point, besides being redundant is self-evidently unphilosophical. For instance let's say your Mom has cancer you don't go to your Mom "you know Mom since you're well beyond the fetus stage I can't take care of you" or if you see someone get hit by a car the first thing you do is call 911. Dispatcher: "Well why didn't he, the first one on the scene, call 911?" "Um ma'am, he's pro-life." Let him ramble on though, it's all good.

    ReplyDelete