Monday, June 29, 2009

Sentencing day for Bernie Madoff

Let it be said if I were speaking to the judge I'da said many of Madoff's victims were greedy and stupid themselves, after all how much money do you need to retire? (of course I would have needed heavy security to just go home). I'm living comfortably now, don't need much, I don't have millions to invest anyway (poor Steven Spielberg - boohoo!). So today Manhattan U.S. District Judge Denny Chin sentenced Madoff to the maximum meaning 150 years in prison and everyone cheered and got off but what else could he do? The sentence is an existential absurdity, murderers have gotten out in less time. Oh but it will be pointed out that Madoff's a murderer himself because three of his victims took their own lives but truth be told only weak people kill themselves. Everyone's acting like 150 years is a hell of a long time, does it apply to successive reincarnations? Getting back to MJ......

7 comments:

  1. Oh but it send a STRONG MESSAGE to anyone who may think of doing what Madoff did to NOT DO IT (yeah and that death penalty is a great deterrent, too, right?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you wouldn't want to screw up those reincarnations now would you? To give Bernie Madoff a Charlie Manson or Son of Sam sentence, well that's just grandstanding by an easily cowed judge who doesn't know the difference between a white-collar crime and mass murder. Never understood how he got away with this for YEARS, yup we be stupid alright, people, the guv'ment and anyone else you wanna throw in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The part that I liked was the cash. Madoff has to give up, I forget exactly, 120 or 130 Billion,, something like that. They claim to cheated the clients by 50 Billion. Maybe they'll get ALL their money back and then some?? I don't see how, but that would be better than most of us who did NOT get swindled by Madoff, but lost a fortune to the semi-legal economy and the Wall Street gang of thiefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "(yeah and that death penalty is a great deterrent, too, right?!?)"

    No one who's ever been put to death became a repeat offender thereafter. Hence, in that specific regard it most certainly is a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alot of people I've talked to feel Ruth Madoff had to know the deal, how could she not? Oh yeah I heard he won't be allowed a little conjugal action either but either way I've never understood our legal system, just say you're here for life ok? what's with the century and a half deal? only relevant if he turns into a vampire, yeah I know he is one already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know BB what you just did I wish the media would do from time to time, actually define terms. They throw words around and then your co-workers are throwing the same words around until one of them actually has the bravery to say "what the hell is a Ponzi scheme?" 24/7, when I first heard this I figured this out on my own. Took me a few days, I'm a little slow.

    ReplyDelete