Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Westchester County Gun Show

When it comes to guns I'm a superfreak. I'm a little liberal on the issue but in the end take your basic conservative position, well yeah conservative but without your NRA extremism. Today there's a gun show going on at the Westchester County Center here in White Plains NY. Now the last County Executive Andy Spano, a Democrat banned the thing but now we got a Repub in office, Rob Astorino and he brought it back. Now what is the main purpose, actually the only purpose of a gun or firearm? It's to kill people at least theoretically so I've always found those who drool over guns at these shows to be somehow, to be charitable here of the Ozark mentality. Not quite right in the head, a couple screws need tightening is all, Off-Center and it's like the time at my sister-in-law's. The story goes they saw a deer in their yard once as they live in the sticks and while everyone was ooohing and aaahing one of the friends goes "I wish I had my gun right now" and, well it was kind of those brain farts again, the type of thing you shouldn't express at least in mixed company anyway. Basically the guy's a dickhead but he's kind of emblematic of the species. Now my bro ain't into guns either but few years back as a favor he took a friend to the same gun show and there sitting at some table was some guy with swastikas on his belt selling some white supremacy books. Friend goes ignore him most folks ain't that way but my brother wanted to get the hell out of there just the same. Now on the other hand I've always said pass all the gun control measures you like and for the record I'm not against all of them but it'll only affect the law-abiding and honest among us. Criminals by definition break the law, that's why they're known as criminals and so to somehow disarm the rest of the populace seems well to me that's it's a complicated issue not given to easy liberal sermonizing. So gun shows attract weird people and I kinda have to go with Spano on this one although he effectively booted himself out of office by constantly raising people's property taxes. Rob Astorino, good ole Republican boy gotta open up the cowboy show again. If I'm somewhat Satyish on the issue that's because I am, the gun crowd gives me the willies, the heebeejeebies and you can sex it up all you want by having Sarah Palin eating a bowl of Moose Nose Stew but when I'm driving up the line on the Taconic in the Dutchess County area and pass Farmer Joe's Road you can't help but think of some farmer/Dad sneaking into his daughter's room at night, gap-toothed perverted overalled church usher bastardo on Sunday (don't like me making jokes? change the name of the road). I know I'm stereotyping but then again my friend and I were driving on Sprout Brook Road recently by some nature preserve/trailway system, that's kinda in the general hillbilly geographic area I'm talking about here and the sign had a bullet hole in it so I said let's get out of here. Conservatives who are birdwatchers, dayhikers, yuppie cyclists, Pelican-cleaners, photobugs, mallrats, I-podding skateboarding mofos, I think we need to go with them and leave the gun enthusiasts/masturbators at home. It's just a vibe thing.

14 comments:

  1. Should I admit I grew up less than 5 miles from Fahnestock, off the Taconic, in Putnam County? Though you'd never know it now (shoes are just as optional here as they were there, and even living here in nowhere we're closer to a big city than we were living there).

    It always cracks me up because I know exactly what/where you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, I sound totally local. We've been here almost 20 years now. And if someone asks me where I'm from, I have to say I'll answer Wilmington. I gave up claiming NY a long time ago. It just led to too much shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,Satyavati devi dasi keep going…far away from here. Your ignorance is stunning

    We Americans must band together in prayer and protest to stop the Islamic takeover of our LAND! The islamists have long ago decided to infiltrate the West and take over slowly while the citizens of the land are unaware before it was too late. It is NOT too late now. But we must stop this evil NOW not later
    Thank God for websites like this that inform the American people of the truth of islam so that we the people can stop the islamization of our great nation..The Mozzies keep terrorizing, we need to GET RID OF EVERY MUSLIM in OUR MILITARY!!!They cannot be trusted

    ReplyDelete
  4. BNI,

    I'm not really sure exactly what you're talking about as it didn't address my comments and certainly didn't address the post.

    You just go on with your anti-religious hysteria, though. They're kinda amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got two and it's seldom I leave home without one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No in-laws technically but I love 'em all the same. But, that's not what I was talking about silly...

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are better places to purchase fireams. Consider
    various problems that can
    happen ..
    I think sometimes
    simple mail order would be
    the safest
    way to shop for weapons...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This happened right here in Yonkers just a few years ago. Guy with a wife and family worked for a phone company here, they stopped overtime hours and it must've been other things too but that was the catalyst and so one day he shot his wife and kids to death and then himself. Now here's the point, no prior criminal history so I'm sure when he went to buy a firearm he appeared perfectly normal. Know of another story, guy who worked for a company and he had a carry permit and went home early I guess one day and caught his wife in bed with another man. When he retold the story he always said he could've killed 'em right there (he at least thought about it)but didn't and I'm sure he had no trouble getting a gun. It's a complicated issue and conservatives oversimplify it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No in-laws technically but I love 'em all the same. But, that's not what I was talking about silly...

    My question was to Z-man, not you, silly....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth I edited that to mean sister-in-law. My first version I like to keep things somewhat vague on purpose, don't want to get too specific know what I sayin' but I clarified it anyway. It's like the workplace sit'chation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then there's the murky area of background checks and like the pro-gun show people like to say you don't leave the County Center with a gun. There's registration and background checks of course but how thorough are those background checks? Let's say you don't have any prior criminal history but do have a history of psychiatric problems. In fact those psychiatric problems could lead you to harm A)yourself or B)others. You have your patient/doctor confidentiality, would be an invasion of your privacy to get into and yet maybe you shouldn't have a gun as in the previous case I described. What EXACTLY is a background check?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The background checks we have to have for work are really just criminal checks; they look to see if you have a record.

    It doesn't address anything else, certainly not anything that could be covered under HIPAA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's what I'm getting at Saty. You could have no prior criminal background and still be a psycho. You mentioned work, my favorite subject (lol) and one girl jokingly said at work about one of the bosses too bad they don't have psychiatric background checks. I've worked with a couple people the past few years who ain't quite normal you could say but got hired anyway. Bottom line is a background check for a gun is merely cursory but conservatives act like it's a safeguard or something.

    ReplyDelete