Tuesday, December 28, 2010

and protect us from all anxiety

One of my favorite lines in the whole Mass occurs around the time of the consecration when the priest says "and protect us from all anxiety." It's an unusual line in that it's not overtly religious in the sense of save us from the fires of hell and that sort of thing, hell theology itself causes anxiety and for me the thing right now is this free-floating anxiety out there. Had a pretty good blast of Ole Man Winter day after Christmas and so folks hit the food stores before in droves, pounded the area delis pretty hard and so that's the thing with anxiety, it's hard to define but in your head when mixed with a healthy dose of imagination it takes on distorted dimensions. Now I'm sure a few people actually needed food but I think in many people's minds they had visions of being homebound for a week slowly starving to death. Never quite got this but anyway I was scheduled to work the night shift yesterday but after a couple hours shoveling out my car made what I thought was a very educated decision on my part to just call work and tell 'em I'm not coming in. The plow came through very late in the day as I live on one of those side roads on top of a hill and the tipping point for me was that in my neighborhood it's very hard to find a space at night in such situations and so the co-mgr. picks up the phone and you always get this, it's like from a playbook or something -- Me: "There are too many problems in my neighborhood (yada yada)..." Him (tooting his own horn): "We all have problems but I made it in" but I remained firm and he hung up. Bears mentioning he's a self-described Republican and I'm telling you your average Republican is not good on labor issues, is not on the side of the worker which is why we need a kind of fusion politics these days, recognize the shortcomings of whatever political side we fall down on and combine the best ideas from both although I do realize this deviates from the enemies' camp approach and is problematic for many who seem to revel in a kind of political trench warfare. Dad became sick right before Christmas so nobody was gonna visit there, kids might get sick and so all things considered it was definitely one of those off-center holidays. Talked to my best bud last night and we really don't critique each other about how we may fall short in the friendship department, that ain't true blue and he deals with the same shit at his job and so we rapped about that. It takes too much energy to hate but I'm telling you civil service people have it good, too many flakes falling from the sky and they just head on home, no conservative boss trying to lay a guilt trip on you either. I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions, never was and if you're gonna do something no better time like the Present and so while most people vow to lose weight after the Holidays been there done that and no I didn't lose those last nine pounds all in one week, got close and decided to round it off and today I'm at that ideal weight I've talked about but that's probably because I shoveled so much of the white stuff yesterday. Truth be told I know this correction guard and he used to be a husky guy until I went to a party one day and barely recognized him, thought he had the cancer or something but he simply decided to lose the pounds although imo it's better in his line of work the way he was. OK so last post before the New Year's and let's stop causing each other anxiety, Life's too short anyway. Adopt an animal, chill back and if someone gets offended because you refuse to marry your job that's their problem. Me? my main thing today is trying to find a use for anchovies:)

25 comments:

  1. " Bears mentioning he's a self-described Republican and I'm telling you your average Republican is not good on labor issues, is not on the side of the worker...."

    Seems to me that the keyword there is "work" Z. For one to be on the side of the worker, is for one to secure precisely that; work.

    As such there was work to be done and they could have very well used your efforts in that regard.

    Surely it's not what you want to hear but A is A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh soap!!!!!! First off we ain't a hospital, we ain't saving lives and second of all being such there has to be a cutoff point. Now I've had my share of Republican bosses and believe me you get to know their politics when they talk a little and you can never do enough for them my whole thing being we need to throw out our political playbooks. So let's say you go in during a blizzard and get wrapped around a tree, do they care?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me use another example. I recently got a very nasty cold or whatever the hell it was from someone at work only that guy caught it from someone else. Should the original germ carrier have gone in to work or stayed home? Sure purely from a Randian perspective there was work to be done so should he/she have gotten kudos or told to go home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the weather isn't so prohibitive that the bosses and other staff members can get to work then it stands to chance they're going to expect that you show up for your shift. Now granted if you live on the outskirts and the snow drifts have closed sections of freeway or maybe it's drifted to the top of your car and so you call into work and say "Hey it's going to take me an hour or so to shovel my car out and so I might be late...." then the ball I guess ends up in their court.

    As for sickness and work, I rarely get sick as we discussed and because there isn't really anyone filling my shoes when I'm out, I find that in my situation, I'm doing others a favor by staying home all the while I'm screwing myself. If I'm not fighting with nausea and bouts of vomiting, I'm likely gonna be coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Historically nurses work sick but at the job I have now they have some very strict rules about that kind of thing. During flu season last year they set up this thing where you had to sign in and be screened for a temp and for symptoms. If you didn't pass the screening you had to go home. They proved that it resulted in 22% less Infirmary admissions campuswide through the entire winter as well as cut down on employee sick days. Even with this we did have a spat of mycoplasma pneumonia that took out a few Inf staff (like me) but overall the general flu and standard gi virus, etc numbers were way, way down.

    That being said, I agree with Z. Not everything is a vital service and personally I'm not risking my life to come in to my minimum wage job peeling uncancelled stamps from envelopes when there's 18" of snow sitting on top of ice the entire 15 one-way miles from my house to work. And if the Republican running the place thinks it's so vital that he wants to fire me.. at least I live to work another day.

    And as for soap, you're just looking out for number one, which is fine, and not giving a shit whether you give the whole place whatever bug you've got, but I wouldn't put that attitude up as some kind of higher standard to follow. 'Hooray for me and fuck the rest of the world' has never been a motto I've found particularly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Hooray for me and fuck the rest of the world has never been a motto I've found particularly inspiring."

    I could say the same thing about the jackasses at work that, in the event I were to take a needed sick day to spare them, equally couldn't give two shits about lending some assistance to the work that had piled up in my absence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'An eye for an eye' makes everyone blind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You want to live your life as a sacrificial lamb serving as a means to the ends of others then by all means have at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I disagree totally with your take here soapie. First off the guy lives in Queens and worked late the night of the blizzard and had to open the next morning so I think it's safe to say he had a cot there and slept there overnight. Also you're way out there in the West but did you catch the Today Show this morning and Mayor Bloomberg's major and I mean major fuckup with the snow removal? Yonkers wasn't much better. My Dad was also pretty sick at the time so I wanted to go over there as well to help him with the snow removal. I'm sorry but Family comes Numero Uno, NOT work. Those are my priorities, that's my philosophy and while anyone can feel free to disagree with my decision it was a rational one. Also I call out very rarely, say literally once every few years or so so they have to respect my decision. Let's say you call out once every five years why should that one time be controversial?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I TOTALLY agree with Saty's comments here. Oh God they're good!!! & I'm just glad soapie ain't my boss. We need to put our jobs in perspective first and Saty's job I daresay is far more important than mine and you know that going in. My whole point is yet again and it's funny in my four years of blogging some of my points never change but my point is Republican conservatives in positions of management all too often want you to give your lifeblood to the Company, your very soul. Having said that I agree with soapie on one point. Many many years ago I worked in a library doing interlibrary loans, very busy and important dept. and they trained this young girl to be my backup when I went on vacation. Long story short I take my vacation only to come back and have books piled up the kazoo because my "backup" called out sick the entire week. UM, in that case I felt a little extra effort to come in was entirely warranted and was very upset about the situation. Funny how I still remember this to this day but even if she was legitimately sick and had health issues they should have made somebody else the backup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's that old sci-fi classic right? Heard about it, not the greatest film but considered some type of seminal work. Was gonna leave my e-mail but no place at your blog to contact you apparently but then again when it comes to techo-savviness I'm in the learning disabled category. BTW soap I learned more about the snow situation at work, most folks didn't show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The film shaped your whole political philosophy? I have to know more about it then. Going offline in a sec., been on too long this morning and getting that...spacey feeling:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got some type of failure notice on that one but I'll be back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. do you like food photography? I am not fond of all the dead things in these pictures but still, take a look at this, from malaysia...

    http://www.clickclickculinary.com/2010/12/fabulous-food-1malaysia-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. "..and protect us from all anxiety." Sounds like the modern version of the old
    Scottish prayer "From ghoulies and ghosties
    And long-leggedy beasties
    And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord, deliver us." Same stuff,
    new words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. as to anchovies--lay them across the thin slices of an hard boiled egg-that are on a thin slice of Danish pumpernickel--great-!!!
    have a grand New Year's Celebration--
    C-CS

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was going to recommend using the anchovies as fertilizer, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What I did was got some Chinese noodles at Stew Leonard's and worked the anchovies in and once you blend 'em in something they're not so strong. This is a good idea for those on a diet: get a bowl and put some sardines in, mash up a hard-boiled egg in there speaking of hard-boiled eggs and throw some crackers in and eat it all. You wouldn't think so but it stays with you most of the day but doesn't bog you down. You can go out and do whatever and don't have to stop to eat but that's only if you like sardines.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Getting back to the other topic here I would caution soapie about this. Anytime you're expected to make Work your top priority in Life, if they expect you to put work ahead of things like Family then in my book that's part of the definition of a Work State. The whole philosophy behind the work state tends to be totalitarian, Communistic and basically says you have to rearrange your whole life to come in hell or highwater so that's why philosophically I feel so strongly about this. I happen to do my work very well but on my list other things come first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. BB's point, yeah whoever put this in the Mass probably got it from somewhere but I like it. How many of us have been plagued by Anxiety our whole lives? Talking with my friend and he says ever go to work with an impending sense of doom? can't quite put your finger on it but it works like this. Let's say most days you go in and you get criticized over something, well this morning you wake up with anxiety and go to work with anxiety only your boss is in a good mood that day but your anxiety comes from your being conditioned to expect something negative when you go in. I have a special thing about people who cause other people anxiety which is a close corollary to stress. In my book this is a special offense since life is hard enough as is and I think God holds us to account in the end for this. It's stressful enough dealing with the weather, why do you have to deal with a stressful boss who compounds the weather problem by expecting you to risk life or limb by coming in? There has to be a circle of Hell...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Conditioned anxiety:

    At a job I had a couple years back they once fired 23 people in just under 6 weeks. The tension was unbearable. To try to cope we'd make jokes and take bets on who would be next.. except it wasn't really funny because underneath everyone was really waiting for the ax to drop.

    It's a terrible environment to have to work in. You just can't get away from the paranoia and fear. What was most unfortunate was that the company was really exploiting these emotions to the hilt. It was just awful. The day my turn came I have to admit I was relieved. (I was #17.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're totaly misunderstanding me Z. The business was open. You were scheduled. As such, they expected you to be there. What you decide after that, weather and all, is totally your decision to make.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I guess I did. They just need to respect my decision is all:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Working with a bipolar woman with ocd she has actually caused other people to drink more I believe:)

    ReplyDelete