Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The arc of the commentary regarding Obama and Libya

Early on when the uprising in Libya began and the rebels took some cities but then Khadafy's forces were closing in the criticism then was Obama wasn't doing enough, dithering, taking too long to decide to try to stop a massacre. Hillary was seen as the real powerbroker behind the scenes who eventually persuaded the boss to do something. She was seen as being stronger than him, probably would've been a better president and I remember a New York Post editorial or two saying c'mon Obama let's get with an official Libyan policy already or was that just my imagination? Now their editorials tend to be more critical and questioning of the Libyan situation or is that just my imagination too? So that was the arc of the commentary early on (c'mon, admit it) and now that he has an official Libyan policy and is acting on it the arc of the commentary has now changed to why Libya? what is our national interest there? do we intervene militarily everywhere where dictators oppress their people? and related questions and subissues. I'm sorry but where I come from that's known as a mindfuck. In this case criticizing him early on for not doing something and not having a coherent Libyan policy in place but then the same people criticizing him when he finally does take action with some kind of Obama Doctrine taking shape. I take it these same people would say Bill Clinton did the right thing in not doing more in preventing the Rwandan genocide. There's something in that ancient classic The Art of War by Sun Tzu about the virtue of changing positions, you see it in the workplace alot. Apparently the Rwandan non-intervention is the model to follow since the whole thing hinges on our national interest anyway. So one day Obama is criticized for not putting the U.S. front and center in a leadership role in dealing with Khadafy and practically two days later criticized for putting the U.S. there at all. One can make the case that Obama initially launched those missiles due heavily in part to the earlier criticism of his apparent indifference to the crisis and is now explaining himself in front of the nation and not too well either I might add due in large part to the criticism that came later but that's what the mindfuck does, gets you to act in mutually contradictory ways due to the influence of the critics who change their views on an almost daily basis as events unfold and you're left to fend for yourself and your critics write another column or publish another blog. I try to aim for consistency here and can't fault the president for his humanitarian instincts, a humanitarianism that is apparently irrelevant if it isn't tied in with our national security interests:)

17 comments:

  1. Double Newspeak anyone??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soapie you are nothing if not consistent. Critics whether of movies or political events always have the last word but it's good to review the critics, the commentators, the pundits and what they are saying over time and you'll even find many critics saying different things over time because they blab on so much, Tourettes of the keyboard. Now in this case very early on I got the sense of the criticism of Obama going in one direction, he was influenced by that and then later on I got the sense of the criticism going in the opposite direction so I would pose the question not what's up with Obama but what's up with the critics? Do they bear any responsibility for influencing foreign policy through their harping ways and microanalytical ways?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course they bear responsibility for our foreign policy (and domestic policy too) but not exclusively in the way I think you are referring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've said many times in my consistency, the media (MSNBC, FAUX, CNN, ABC, CBS, blah blah) are simply another branch of the government. They do the government's bidding. When people lament media bias I laugh. "Can you imagine the media's reaction if Bush had done that...again blah blah blah..."

    That same media helped sell the invasion of Iraq (helloooo Shock and Awe anyone??? Like a damn reality show for Christ's sake).

    The same media is doing the government's bidding right now. They start out by criticizing Obama for being weak on terror (even thought Gitmo is still open for bizness, rendition still occuring, and again blah blah blah...). Same shit different dude.

    BUT...the media/pundits run with something entirely different saying he's weak and and the like so that WHEN he finally does something it's more easily sold.

    It's a dog and pony show; puppets on strings....it's a facade; a farse; a joke; a canard.

    Call it what you will but scripted it most certainly is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God, I think I might be falling in love with you or something.

    Maybe I just need to eat lunch. But this is two days in a row now... something's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pundits do have power. Isn't it interesting that Obama decided to address the nation after former Reagan speechwriter Peggy Noonan wrote her piece in the WSJ saying he needs to address the nation on Libya? I'm sure he's interested in what Ted Koppel has to say too...btw I think Ted's barber hates him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saty I hope I'm not giving the illusion of becoming more liberal, I hope I'm not leading you on but I haven't been much of a team player lately. I mean when conservatives are now using the same arguments almost word for word that liberals used in bashing Bush over going into Iraq it's hard not to notice (e.g. Peggy Noonan et al, how long will we be there? what is the mission? what if it doesn't work out? etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you.. you're walking the straight line and not buying into the party propaganda machine, without necessarily changing your own underlying convictions.

    That's just totally sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :-) great takes - my friend-
    after my trip to the EU -I would say that I agree w/ George Washington-stay out of any affair of Europe (or any other country) unless it 'absolutely' and directly affects us in the US!
    Carol-CS

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're walking the straight line and not buying into the party propaganda machine, without necessarily changing your own underlying convictions.

    That's just totally sexy.


    If that is your definition of sexy, then you yourself are the farthest thing from sexy there is, Saty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you don't find independent-mindedness and standing by one's own convictions sexy, Beth, then by all means that's your prerogative.

    I for my own self find men who think for themselves and make their own decisions based on their own personal morals and philosophies of life, without being swayed by others or some allegiance to a political party... to be VERY sexy.

    To each their own and may they all find fulfillment therein.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny Saty how you only say that when Z-man says something you agree with.

    I think you only think someone is open minded when they agree with you.

    I myself find men who are pro-life to be very sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like I said.. to each their own and may all find fulfillment therein.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And here I find it to be a turnoff that seemingly every post morphs into a pro-life argument.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh ok, it's takes me awhile to get those acronyms.

    ReplyDelete