Thursday, March 17, 2011

Things I hate about Twitter

For starters tweeting sounds vaguely gay but that's not the point. Twitter is the stupidest thing on the Internet,

vapid celebrity xyz: "I just took a dump" (later picked up by "E.T." and "Access Hollywood" and talked about during your favorite drive-time morning show the next day when they should be playing music. Scott 'n' Todd, whassup?)

Twitter is the Ego run amok. We're all mini-Sheens now. Young guy at work told me about his Facebook page (Twitter/Facebook, same thing), check it out. Thanx I'll try not to. Now most bloggers have a massive ego that goes beyond healthy (Twitter/Facebook/Blogging, same deal) and the thing with Sheen, I couldn't cap it at first but he has Lucifer Syndrome. "I am the greatest. I fell like lightning from the Sky, I will set up my own Kingdom" and other drug-induced, existentially distorted bullshit). Whatever was gleaned of value in that 20/20 interview he is now reduced to some roving asshole, Dad must be sooooo proud. They say his upcoming city to city comedy tour sold out in a matter of minutes. These are probably, I'm only hazarding a guess here the same folks who wiped out all those potassium iodide tablets from the shelves because some molecule of Strontium-90 or Caesium-137 might float over the East Coast (it's not that they're chem majors but they seem to have an uncanny ability to pick up important info before you do kind of through osmosis, otherwise they're watching Married with Children). Oh well there's always kelp (for now). I remember during one of our major snowstorms this past winter and this was right before the first flakes fell but it got so busy so early I couldn't even set up the showcase, first time that's happened. It was retarded busy and I don't think this culture could make it through the Apocalypse but you can be sure as hell they would have to tweet about it (the combo blogger/tweeter/facebooker: "The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter just broke free and is now hurtling towards the Earth. HOLY SHIT!!!"). I was in Dick's Sporting Goods the other day with my friend, the new one they built in the Danbury Fair Mall and they got these things by Camelbak in the bike section. Basically what it is is it looks like some kind of backpack deal but the idea is you put water in it and there's a tube that goes in your mouth and you suck the water out (as Carlin once pointed out this society seems to feel the need for constant hydration). Then if you buy that you have to buy the cleaning kit that goes along with it of course. My friend seemed interested but that's how they suck you in I said. Now unless you plan on being stranded in the Alaskan wilderness a bottle of BB's overpriced tap water should suffice for your immediate needs when you're simply bicycling, hiking or just jerking off in the woods. Jobs, my friend said every job we've had in our lives has scum in it and you begin to wonder are people really this way? Shellshocked by Life. Nature is acting different too these days. Saw a pigeon the other day soaring, must've thought he was a hawk. The Archie Bunker Talking Alarm Clock: "Get the hell up, geeeez." I have to go home later and bang the crumbs out of my toaster oven, should I tweet about it?:)

27 comments:

  1. Your assessment represents a very narrow; very miniscule portion of what Twitter is.

    Following Al Jazeera English all during the Egypt uprising allowed me first hand access to uploaded videos and reports from protesters ON THE GROUND in Egypt.

    What's the alternative? Some skewed interpretation from some jackoff on CNN, MSNBC, FAUX...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and I have a camelback too. Take it with me when hiking and biking. I didn't purchase the cleaning kit. You can just use denture cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allow me to say during my cultural rant here that men of substance used to die young, James Dean and Bruce Lee now we got this guy sitting on the side of the plot dangling his legs with a Wise bag in his hand and a beer in the other ranting about his cosmological importance. That's Twitter and I know there's this other stuff but would you say on balance it's a combination of pop ephemera (thanx Sat for the phrase) and rampant assholery?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soap why can't you go with the Evian or Fiji Artesian Water? I think it's just to sell a product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kind of like overpriced anal beads when you can just stick a cucumber up there. Make sure you put a handle on it, don't want it getting lost:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I filter my own rain water so I'm of no help on the bottled water. We buy it when it's on sale. The only municipal water I typically drink is when I make my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A product that people can purchase voluntarily if they so choose. You could go without shoes too ya know. Thing is, they provide a benefit just as does the camelback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend went ahead and bought the Camelbak, more power to him but he has a room full of imo unnecessary purchases so when the novelty wears off where does it go? I hear ya on the freedom thing which is why I'm so upset that in a year or two it'll be illegal to actually purchase an incandescent light bulb and W signed onto this crap. Now it ain't about fluoroscents vs. incandescents, knock yourself out but about liberty to make the purchases we want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much of camping is really about getting ready for the End Times? Same guy bought those water purification tablets at Eastern Mountain Sports but I say we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is it when I'm on vacation and have all the time there is there's nobody around. Coffee break?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Times change; back when I was a kid, we threw a bunch of stuff in a canoe and took off down river for a few days. Drank right out of creeks. If ya got a cast iron stomach, the giardia goes away in a couple days...

    ReplyDelete
  12. "How much of camping is really about getting ready for the End Times?"

    75% of my camping isn't about the End of Times but about self sufficiency, self sustainability.

    Can you start a fire without matches and a lighter? etc...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate twitter. I do love facebook though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the opposite. I like the fast pace of twitter.

    I always have shit on my mind so I can tweet to my heart's content. Facebook tends to have a slower pace about it (people updating status a couple times a day).

    If I'm watching a hockey game or Oscars or some damn thing I can just tweet my thoughts or whatever whereas continually posting it to FB might seem excessive because it's not a constant feed sorta thing like Twitter. Twitter is great for news and info too.

    I use a app for my smartphone called Tweetdeck that allows me to post status updates to Twitter and/or Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My twitter feed is on my blog too if y'all ever care to check it out.

    It's about the most honest reflection of my working mind you'll see (not that my mind is sooooo extraordinaire). I have fun with it.

    And because you're sort of limited to 140 characters it's not so long and drawn out as is a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I joined Facebook because friends and family wanted my Mom's updates after her stroke, so I joined to be able to do so. A couple of people I stopped getting their updates because there was TMI going on (one girl, on a get away weekend with husband shared that they were having wine by the fireplace, that is when I stopped her updates!) One other friend says "goodnight" on her Facebook page every night! I may need to stop her updates, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Facebook's been great for me getting in touch with people I haven't seen in 25 years and also keeping up with my Godfamily who are all over the world.. and I am in a great cooking group of mostly devotees that's extremely active and it's a real nice environment. Not living right in a devotee community I miss the daily association and so this has become a great thing for me. I don't know, I like it. For a long time I was anti-FB but it seems to fit really nicely into my lifestyle right now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never did get into Twitter. Probably too Fast for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Twitter seems OK..much less irritating than those
    ubiquitous cellphones where you hear the most inane chatter while you are shopping or eating out.
    A generational thing no doubt...I may get one of those cellphones someday...

    ReplyDelete
  20. A magazine subscription is too fast for you Lista.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That Could be True, Soap, yet that is no Reason to Force such a Magazine Subscription on me, nor is it any Reason for you to Insist that my Blog Needs to Move Along as Fast as you'd Like it to. If you Want a Fast Blog, then Come Over here and Talk to Z-man. He has Fast Comment Threads at Times, though Lately, they've not been so Bad.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah I'm all about force and coercion....[insert rolling eyes emoticon]

    ReplyDelete
  23. soap: "Can you start a fire without matches and a lighter?"

    Was watching the outdoor movie The Edge the other night starring Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin (and some black dude who gets eaten by a grizzly). Anyway the Hopkins character says you can start a fire with ice by molding the ice in your hands into a kind of magnifying glass. Gotta try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Steel wool and a 9 volt battery will do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saty: "I hate twitter."

    I wouldn't harp on it if it were only more intelligent. Celebrity tweets are the worst. Just today when I went to yahoo before opening up my e-mail I saw who's trending right now:

    (1) Shania Twain
    (2) Sandra Bullock
    (3) Robert DeNiro
    (4) Katherine Heigl

    What is up with our celebrity worship culture? Think about it, for something to be trending a majority of folks with valuable computer time are looking up the dudes above. Me? I tend to look up diseases, medications, wildlife, stores closing, that sort of thing but Sandra Bullock? haven't we covered her already?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beth I get your point and properly used Facebook can be a wonderful tool for keeping in touch, human contact etc. but the examples you cite of those updates seems to point in the direction of these people being narcissistic, self-important and all the rest. Anything good quickly degenerates.

    BB: "...those ubiquitous cellphones where you hear the most inane chatter while you are shopping or eating out..."

    Back in my deli days alot of customers would start ordering their cold cuts all the while checking with someone on the cellphone about what to get. Very annoying and you never knew if they were talking to you or someone else. Cells are great in an emergency of course. I'm more of a private person and if I had to conversate on a cell I'd get out of earshot as much as possible and talk low but maybe that's because I'm not an exhibitionist.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I very much like that word 'conversate'.

    ReplyDelete