Friday, February 10, 2012

Honesty (not so much)

I'm gonna have to take my car in for an oil change perhaps next week. Now every mechanic you ask will tell you have your oil changed every 3,000 miles (don't believe me go do a survey) but when I was reading my Honda Civic manual a few weeks ago it said every 5,000 miles. Hmmmmmm. Your doctor tells you to drop the weight and we'll take you off the blood-pressure meds, it was ALOT of hard work with constantly reinforced social pressure at places like work to not lose that much weight and not only that but you shed 5-10 bonus pounds just for good measure and your doctor still keeps you on the pills and you politely remind him of this. Does he have stock in the pharmaceutical industry? perhaps the Vytorin tissue box in the waiting room is an indication. Older married woman at work with an autistic son, kinda uses her personal situation for leverage to get the hours she wants and to get out of jury duty. It's not like she's a single mom and he's at home alone and can hurt himself and autism is the thing these days anyway, they get by. Look I have a couple of autistic cats. Those high school girls in upstate NY you may have heard in a town you probably never heard of by the name of Le Roy, they mysteriously came down with Tourette's-like symptoms but the authorities and experts and resident psychologists are chalking it up to, you guessed it Anxiety. Look there's alot of free-floating anxiety in the air these days, God knows I've been dealing with it my whole life but I never twitched or cursed somebody out because of it. What a bunch of bullshit and I don't think even the paid shrinks believe one word of it. Turns out that according to one local newscast here there was once some sort of toxic train wreck once in Le Roy's history and Erin Brockovich has gotten involved not that anybody's not telling the Truth here. It's like at work with the weird psychedelics in the water, well if you're not feeling well one day they'll always chalk it up to you're known to partake of the adult beverages on a fairly regular basis, you may have made the mistake of letting this slip in loose conversation perhaps in a humorous vein and he has been dieting recently (read: starving himself). You see Truth these days is like the Constitution, it's elastic. It's not outright dishonesty or lying, it's a shading, a stretching, selecting the best elements of truth out there that most strike your fancy like those Le Roy girls probably do have some anxiety (who doesn't?) hence ~~~ or since most new cars do require a more frequent oil change well a car's a car or yeah you lost over 60 lbs. and we did say weight is a major factor but your blood pressure's still too close to 140 (actually maybe it was 132 over 84 that day and that was right after work) and well you can never be too careful (read: lawsuits), it's your health after all. Honesty, now don't be a glutton now:)

9 comments:

  1. "Now every mechanic you ask will tell you have your oil changed every 3,000 miles."

    You need a new mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got an oil change and a tuneup on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

    Then I washed it and sprayed that tire shine on the tires.

    I love me a clean car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That situation in Leroy is interesting: potpourri of potential causes..the old train
    wreck (cyanide, trichoroethylene),
    fracking (benzene and all kinds of stuff), conversion disorder, hysteria. EPA says no chemical
    problem, Erin still looking.
    ..like a good novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. soap: "You need a new mechanic."

    Soap they all say 3,000 miles, where you been?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookie cutters do. My mechanic isn't of the cookie cutter variety. Those other cats aren't mechanics Z they are salesmen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Le Roy,

    B fracking for natural gas is a big big political issue now in upstate NY. When I first heard of this story and I was watching the news I said to myself some group of expert shrinks is gonna come out and say it's all being caused by mass anxiety and sure enough that's what they did. Now how could I without a medical degree have predicted this? because it's a Pat Answer. Anytime there's enough pat answers usually somebody's not telling the unvarnished truth (the subject of this thread btw). I'll go with the train wreck theory for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soap you're blessed to have a good and honest mechanic. I used to have one until he too turned the other way. Hey everyone's got bills to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fracking is bad business. You just can't be screwing around with the earth like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to get back to those girls at Le Roy. Now when I blog I'm merely giving my impressions of something. Can I be wrong? OF COURSE! Can there be a kind of conversion disorder at work like the dancing plague of centuries ago? YES! but seems to me Anxiety is often a catch-all to explain something we can't explain. Few years back when I was talking to the girl in the bakery about this really persistent tinnitus-like condition I have, more of a humming/buzzing than your classic ringing in the ears she with no medical degree whatsoever said rather authoritatively oh that's, you guessed it Anxiety so ever since then I have a bias against using that to help explain things away as in Le Roy. As for fracking I really don't have a firm position yet kind of rare for a conservative but I just want y'all to know where I'm coming from on some of my POVs. Also not everything even in my book is a Conspiracy, sometimes it's just mass likemindedness like mechanics always going with the 3,000 mile rule or society as a whole saying you're losing too much weight. It's uncanny at times but no official conspiracy like grease monkeys having some type of convention or something and coming up with this crap.

    ReplyDelete