Friday, March 30, 2012

thoughts on mortality

I didn't want to start a label called "death" because that'd be creepy but at 48, just had a b'day a couple weeks ago you begin feeling that tug from the other end. I remember in that movie Uncle Buck or something John Candy is in bed and the kid he's in charge of starts talking about The Topic and he goes just think every single second of your life right now, every moment, it's one less second or minute you have left yada yada so the kid finally falls asleep and John Candy is laying awake in bed all night just staring at the ceiling. HELL -- I've gone both ways on this and for most of my adult life didn't really believe in it but lately you can't say everybody makes it and that's the thing. Everybody dies and they're strumming banjoes in Heaven looking down on us and smiling? Whitney Houston dies in a bathtub with coke and other drugs in her system and she's in Heaven?!? Not saying she's in Hell either but why even try to live a good life if we all wind up in the Good Place and right away at that? I don't believe most people go to Hell over sexual sins, I think there has to be something more (gangsters, Mafia yes) and I think the Church over the years has taken private revelations like at Fatima and maybe added stuff like the vast majority of people in Hell are there because they're lovers of the flesh, a kind of anti-sex message. Is there Sex after Death? You'd think there would be for all those times you couldn't get it in real life, would kinda even things out. I think the idea of reincarnation is rather neat since there's so many things I want to do in Life and one lifetime's not enough like be a private investigator. Let's be honest, the job sucks there's no fulfillment there and technically the very first day I can retire I'm doing so and sit on my front porch for the rest of my life and take up gardening:)

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately we can't have it all.
    We do not have anything to say about the future. We have to take whatever we are dealt.
    So live today and every day like it's your last day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A timely post from my perspective because lately I have known people who have died relatively young, my daughter's orthodontist for one, and it was especially weird because he died on the same day as her last appointment so she was probably one of the last persons he saw before he died.

    It makes me realize that we never know when our lives will end, so we should be thankful for the time we do have here on Earth with the people we care about (even those we only know over the Internet) and enjoy the beauty of the world, and when we have bad times in our lives to know that any pain we have now is temporary but eternity is pain free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couple people at work died before their time too. You should get the most of life as you can but I think there's a reason why it's temporary. Let's say the average lifespan were 500 years well the powers that be would have it so you have to work 450 or 475 years out of those 500. You'd also have 5 or 6 more divorces, heartbreaks under you belt so mortality can be like a bad job, it's time to move onto a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! Life here is short, but after a while I think I'll be ready to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've become more philosophical about it what with the job and all and I guess it all depends on your vantage point of course. I can't say I'm one of those people whose dreams have been fulfilled but I get the most out of it that I can.

    ReplyDelete