Friday, May 10, 2013

Facebook Follies

Let's face it Mark Zuckerberg was a genius and social-networking trailblazer but lately there was the FB IPO which sucked and now in business news AT&T has decided to sell the brand new Facebook Smartphone for just 99cents since that turned out to be a flop on all fronts including even the software and apps.  Facebook has also had troubles and controversy of late with some pedophiliac-themed pages which have popped up every now and then and well anyway now the next big kid on the block is Pinterest and while I don't think Facebook is gonna go the way of MySpace (MyWho?) anytime soon I really think he needs to give the big Ralph Kramden brainstorms a rest for now.  In other news Ariel Castro he of the infamous and bizarre Ohio kidnapping case now says he should have just stopped at two women as sex slaves.  Yeah you got greedy bro!  Also some big ABC News producer, the he became a she and walked on the wild side and the marriage is kaput with two kids in the mix.  Used to be you could practically go days on end in the news cycle and it was boring now it's offensive, strange for some reason but in an interesting way.  I used to like Pink but her songs are now like crabgrass on the radio, new songs every week and I've kinda had my fill and who is this Phillip Phillips guy?  They made a big deal over what Justin Bieber wrote in that Anne Frank guestbook over in the Netherlands but I categorize it probably as a brainfart, basically an expression of a thought you can't even explain or express properly and I thought what people write in the logs at museums and galleries is kinda private anyway.  Got a buck? I wanna go get me a new smartphone, maybe ten.

14 comments:

  1. I like Facebook for keeping up with peeps and posting pics, but I recently started Twitter which is really great because its tidbits only with an occasional link for more info. From what I am told, the young people start these trends, but then us old people start using the MySpace and the Facebook, so then the young ones try to find the next big thing.

    I like Pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: the sicko Castro dude, that is a local story so we are getting wall to wall coverage, some freaky stuff going on in Cleveland these days, is it the water of Lake Erie? I dunno, but you gotta think there are sick freaks like this all over the world, and I hope all those with missing loved ones get the same good news someday, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jodi Arias case, it was an on-again/off-again relationship and Travis Alexander's big mistake was he kept going back for the sex. So then if you're the guy how do you make the case that you don't want to see her anymore? Guys never change and the other thing is even having a totally open mind about the case pretty much all of the evidence pointed in Arias' direction/guilt so where does she get off saying she's innocent and giving umpteenth interviews and making her case in some kind of rational way? Weird stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'll buy that. Same could be said for Twitter. As George Will would probably say it's an example of solipsistic narcissism or is that narcissistic solipsism?

    ReplyDelete
  5. but not the FB Smartphone? only 99 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm due for an upgrade in October. If it's listed on my Verizon page I might go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you understand your smartphone through and through? you said recently you're probably not using it to its full potential. I feel the same way and I'm still googling my product and its capabilities. Apparently it's really good with Java apps and I recently downloaded the Google mobile maps app and the YouTube one. The camcorder on the LG840G is really cool and I can get the roaring noise of a waterfall and increase the sound when I'm playing it back. I can zoom in on pics and videos later at my leisure so much so you can read the license plates on parked cars which in the original size image was say only in the corner. My latest project, figuring out MP3 players.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not understand all of it. I know enough to make it do what I need it to do and I call it good at that.

    This windows 8 thing is making me crazy, but I think once I get settled it will be better. Part of what's stressing me is the 10 gigs of stuff I am desperately trying to get off my old computer, which won't even boot reliably and is currently as we speak turning itself on and off 6 times a minute (not an exaggeration). I can't move into this one if I can't move out of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Technology is always frustrating it seems. You know there are entire thick magazines at Barnes & Noble devoted to just understanding your iPhone or Android better and while I'm all for tutorials does it need to be this complicated??

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the other hand there are some older folks who are very suspicious of technological advances. They seem to prefer the Good Ole Days and they'll tell you for instance they don't like ATMs but can't give you a specific reason. They're anti-Progress all the way, real time-warpers and they'll say you should save every penny like you can take it with you into the afterlife. Back in the day folks, anti-modernity:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know. I feel like some things are good for some things. I'm sitting here at my desk in front of a wireless router with my big bad new Win 8 laptop, and right next to me is a rotary phone. People think I'm crazy for having a rotary phone, but the reason is that even when the power goes out it will (unlike cordless phones) continue to work. I would prefer to not be without communication, especially living where I do. So, I try to make these decisions on the basis of utility.

    My mother was all hysterical about her personal information being online until I showed her how she could check her bank balances and do transfers, etc. online. Once she realized she could do that at three in the morning if she so desired, 365 days a year, she was all about it.

    So I think maybe it's just about what do you need and how can you best get that need filled. Lately people I work with, everyone's got the Kindle Fire HD. I don't know... I like my Touch and I won't change it. I still have my iPod shuffle that Scott gave me in 2008. If it works I see no reason to get a new or different one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally downloaded a few songs on my phone's MP3 player and it plays real good. Best test to check the quality of your smartphone's MP3 Phil Collins' In the Air Tonight esp. the cascade of drums at the end. Surprised to learn most folks I talk to never make use of the MP3 player on their smartphones. I find it relaxing.

    ReplyDelete