Thursday, April 25, 2024

Cat rescue groups - a review


This may not be a fair analysis as I have not heavily researched the subject but is based on personal experience. Few years back I had two stray female cats temporarily living in the house and one was obviously quite pregnant so I contacted a cat rescue group. The end result was good she took the cats and they went to a foster home. Yes they have them for cats too. The methodology however. She came by late afternoon with two big cages in the back of her SUV and clearly wanted to follow the protocols of official cat rescue techniques which involves putting a bowl of food in the cages and as they say on detective stakeout shows we wait. Order Chinese? I was like how long is this gonna take I wanna watch Wheel of Fortune give me the cages. Somewhat hesitant she gave in and within ten minutes or less I handed her the cages with the cats inside and thank you and have a good night. FF to now and I have another situation with a tomcat that I've been feeding and has battle wounds on his face from territorial cat fights and so I texted the cat lady again who responded to my first text but hasn't replied to my followup texts. I realize these people are incredibly busy and serve large geographic areas but how hard is it to hit an emoji? Then I'm sitting on the porch with my fine cigar and observed a neighbor trying to get what looked like a female cat off the road and then feeding it and trying to get the cat out of harm's way so clearly our neighborhood has a cat problem as do many other neighborhoods so where are the cat people? Calling Jackson Galaxy!

20 comments:

  1. In north small town Idaho there is a high population of ferals. The common hideout is a barn on the property. Behind us, the people have a horse and the barn has hosted generations of ferals. The horse lady got good at trapping (TNR-Trap, Neuter, release) and right now the big gray and white one is the sole inhabitant. A lot of the vets are associated with HelpingHands and offer cheaper TNR.
    A few years back, the barn group eliminated the rabbit population, but I'm thinking a barn would be good hunting for mice. I guess a lot of feral cats get handouts from people (kind of like feeding the squirrels. One Summer I put out a bit of tuna (Tuna-the natural prey of the cat?) and had a mom and her litter hanging around. At night
    they sleot on a lounge cushion on the back deck - big pile of cats, took a picture. Probably not in Yonkers, but here their natural enemy the coyote will take one now and then. Note to self: check with Jackson Galaxy on the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feral cat mystique. A more romanticized way of saying stray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We definitely have coyotes in Westchester County. The Eastern Coyote bigger than its Western counterpart and said to be 1/4 wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In flicking TV channels I came across "Pitbulls and Parolees''. Some lady matches them and they bond I guess- not sure, I can only watch for a minute or so and get bored. Now, I'm no entrepreneur, but do have a half open mind (or open half mind, take your pick) and it occurred to me that Z-Man might save feraldom and make himself some cash. It is your new TV series called "Felons and Ferals" Grab it before Jackson Metalface does.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. TNR = sterile strays without a home like a homeless person who has gotten temporary medical attention. "We're gonna let you off on the corner. Good luck."

    ReplyDelete
  6. They wander into your home. How do you think I got half my cats?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever had an Eastern Coyote wander in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not yet. No Sasquatch either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanted to post an image yesterday. Should take no more than three minutes. Couldn't do it with the Blogger app. Reviews of Blogger say the same thing. Spent an hour last night trying to fix the problem.

    You already gave the Golden Finger award to Gates and Jobs. Hereby presenting the Golden Finger award to Google.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a challenge. I tried it. No luck. It may be in Sec 49 (B) in the 48 page "How to easily post an image". Something about requiring a quantum computer array. Is there a Polonium Fist Award?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is not my first rodeo. I used to post images. Must be one of them software system upgrade updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the Cloud. Every thing goes to the Cloud. I think there is a big section of the cloud called "BBs" Mistakes"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have everything in the Cloud. Must be Chinese interference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The way this blog was originally set up for me many years ago I was using a Yahoo email account under Google. Had to go to Blogger permissions and actually invite MYSELF as an author then granted the invited me administrator privileges and then removed my old account and can now access my photos library. Keep it simple. Like having too many credit cards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. More spam ads - 15 weeks training and I can become a lineman for the power company. WTF - been retired for over 20 years. Advice?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tell the power company boss you can't go over 20 hours a week. SS rules.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm having trouble finding catnip in the stores of late. Did Jackson Galaxy say it's bad or something?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get it at the pet store. The Christian Brothers of felines. Apparently, even lions, tigers, leopards lynx and bobcats react the same way. Not sure - maybe you could walk through the big cat section of the zoo tossing the stuff around?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Valerian root too has the same effect. Keep your sleep aids under lock and key.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blogger, Chrome, G-Mail - Google is a huge part of the commercial internet, enigmatic, useful and a bit of a puzzle to use. Considering
    the number of complaints I have and hear, I find it an anomaly of
    Capitalism that last year Google earned $92 Billion. Wife lost all
    her e-mails: should she sue?

    ReplyDelete