Saturday, March 15, 2008

OK, so quiche~~~

~~~Whatever kind you're making go to the frozen food aisle and get, say your frozen chopped spinach, broccoli, asparagus spears, mixed veggies maybe, imitation crabmeat for seafood quiche, sliced mushrooms is good for a nice mushroom quiche. The famous and always popular Lorraine quiche is simply done using diced ham. Anyway make sure you squeeze as much of the water out of the broccoli and spinach using a colander, you'd be surprised at how much water is in there! OK, so set that off to the side (mise en place, everything in place). Now you have your 6" pie shell, your 9"er if you prefer or hey, do both. Most important thing is your mixture, I use eggs, heavy cream, some 1/2 and 1/2, I mix it all up with my whisk (beat your eggs first of course), then I add some sugar, a dash of nutmeg (and I like a hint of cinnamon too, hehe), some red cayenne pepper for color, little white pepper as well, bit of paprika for the color too, a packet or two of Goya Sazon is great. You'll have to judge the quantity of these ingredients depending on how much quiche you're making. The grated cheese, they say it should consist of at least 75% Swiss and based on experimentation I have to agree here although I have seen in gourmet food stores all cheddar quiche and goat cheese quiche as well (dunno). Anyway with the Swiss Jarlsberg and/or Finlandia is the best. Don't use any low-salt cheese as your quiche will not turn out right, it'll look like an open-face grilled cheese sandwich that's burned. Now first into the pie shell I put some grated cheese, alot of quiche you see has a concave effect, I tend to use a little more cheese than most but don't overdo it. Ladle in your blended mixture and don't be shy. Lastly I put my spinach or broccoli or mushrooms or whatever on the very top and then I spoon in even a little more mixture so that when it cooks it'll all sink into the cheese but still be visible for a really nice effect. Into the oven for about 1/2 an hour it goes, usually a little longer if you're making a whole bunch. I like to go for that burned look, don't wanna blacken it of course but that nice browned on top look will have your guests ooohing and aaahing. Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

  1. BTW you can substitute simple heavy whipping cream instead of the heavy cream and your quiche will come out just fine, heavy cream simply makes for a richer tasting quiche. May as well go for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z, this sounds absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I'm first being trained in a recipe I follow and learn the basics, then later on comes the experimentation and adjustments. #1 Rule in cooking is whatever pleases your palate, you can't hurry quiche, you have to put your heart and soul into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the women you meet know you can make quiche, because to me that is a very appealing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think so, word gets out and they also get to know you're not hurrying the quiche but making it the proper way. If I make, say 20, then there'll usually be about 3 or 4 left over, must be doing something right.

    ReplyDelete