Saturday, June 28, 2008

John McCain's Ralph Nader

Big writeup in today's New York Times (A Candidate Runs to a GOP Chorus of "Don't" by Julie Bosman), former Republican Congressman from Georgia Bob Barr is already on the ballot in 30 states as the Libertarian Party candidate for president and could have a definite Ross Perot influence spoiling McCain's chances. In the article Barr relates the story of a recent meeting in Washington between himself and a group of Republicans who told him "look, we understand why you're doing this. We agree with why you're doing this. But please don't do it." Amusing stuff these self-loathing Republicans. The article goes on to say that while in Congress he voted for the USA Patriot Act and the Iraqi war, led impeachment against Clinton and on the subject of gay marriage introduced the Defense of Marriage Act in '96. He now says he's for a quick withdrawal of troops as in all of them, feels states should have their own say re gay marriage and is against wiretaps without warrants. The Moral of the Story folks, if we had decent candidates to begin with we wouldn't need spoilers and in this case Barr says he got fed up with the Republican Party straying from its roots of controlled spending and limited government. Think of it this way as z just loves the analogy. We as conservative and tradition-minded Republicans are asked to give our hand in marriage to McCain but as all the political universe knows it ain't a passionate thing by any stretch and there's Bob Barr over there winking at us, you sly dog you, and he knows we can do better as if to say "I got it goin' on."

9 comments:

  1. Maybe we should start talking about how John McCain will be Bob Barr's spoiler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to learn the rest of his positions before I would vote for Bob Barr, drug legalization for instance which I'm against. If the rest of Barr is congenial to my own views I'll help him be his spoiler but right now he's a little sketchy as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he's for a full withdrawal from Iraq, so I don't think I could vote for him based on that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's for an immediate and full pull out from Iraq and he leaves gay marriage to the states. We've seen what the states are doing in that regard. Mass. and Calif. started it and others will follow. I am for the feds saying marriage is for ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN---period!! So Barr has 2 (at least)strikes in my book, and you already know who I'm backing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even Obama has gone on the record saying to Jim Lehrer we can't get out of there that fast, yeah we'll get out over time but we have to be careful. So ok strike one. Then re gay marriage it's not so much his current federalist approach that bothers me but the fact that he flip-flopped from his original DOMA to this. It's a thing with me, I just hate flip-floppers as a rule so strike two. Then there's the acid test, does he support drug legalization which we haven't heard from him on yet. Yeah I don't see myself voting for him either, it was kind of a mirage all the time but I thought I'd throw it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems inevitable no matter how we vote, Obama will be our next president. Today I saw where he said he'll continue Bush's faith based programs, so now he's luring the Christian votes from McCain...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So why is the Constitution Party throwing up pastors? I want somebody whom I can really vote for, Barr came a little close but it ain't him. I just want to feel like I voted my conscience but I need a REAL choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really stinks not having a candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not going to vote for somebody I'm not passionate about, it's not the way I live my life. It all kind of feels like some kind of arranged marriage, we're all impotent and frigid - don't touch me! - but we're told we have to go out in public and pretend to have a good time for the sake of loyalty and party unity. It's like if somebody bought you a Volkswagen for your birthday only thing is you ain't into bugs but you go "oh great!" anyway just to be polite. JACK KEMP baby, come on let's boogie!

    ReplyDelete