Monday, July 07, 2008

Skiing down the slippery slope of gay marriage

The gay marriage deal, it's not so much what they do but the slippery slope. Let this one go and it's bro and sis who wanna get hitched, polygamists, the farmer in the dell.

Modern urban angst. So my friend and I are in this ritzy mall the other day and we're in a very manly Swiss Army type store and I'm just taggin' along, drifting away and then coming back to my pal and so he's paying for something at the counter and the clerk goes to me "you're together, right?" Now two things, I thought of saying something with a pinch, a dash mind you of the old sarcasm as in "no, I'm just following him around" to counter our little urban neuroses in this the age of Jack Jordan or (b) maybe he thought we were a couple ("hey Shaquila, look at them, they're sweet"). Whatever, put it away in the fridge, it'll keep.

Three days without blogging, I feel like there's a squirrel in my head that wants to get out. This weather man, you wake up in the morning and it 's soupy and muggy and just this gray blah sky out there and so you look forward to a day of gliding and sliding. I'd rather be chilling and grilling or waking and baking. So far this summer sucks.

9 comments:

  1. sometimes just to lighten the mood at work go in and say something like "we're here we're queer." the heavier folk at work, always picking at stuff, can't pass a box of chocolate glazed donut holes without popping one in their mouth, just a little sample action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you very much prefer winter over summer, but I feel bad that your summer sucks so far, Z.

    Perhaps the salesman asked if you were together to make sure if you needed help or were you just there with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many people watch and get influenced by the news and aren't independent thinkers, that's my take. Add to the mix a neurotic salesgirl who maybe had some unwanted male attention in her life and everyone's just chock full of questions. Things can be polite but still just a little bit off. Then again you do get people in malls who look suspicious, guys who just sit in their cars for like 45 minutes or who otherwise rove the food court aimlessly, even I wonder about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW I'm now reading On the Beach by Nevil Shute. First published in 1957 it's about the world after nuclear war and at 280 pages it's a light read compared to Atlas. After Rand I can tackle anything. They even made a movie out of it in 1959 which is quite good starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner (!), Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins pre-Psycho. Saw Fred Astaire in Ghost Story and gotta say the guy could act.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I could read a depressing book right now, I would venture to guess it's not a happy book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No but it's considered a classic and the movie based on it is quite good and it makes you think. I think it would do well for conservatives in particular to read the book as imo they've been a little too pro-nuclear bomb over the years at least from our side of things. Once you let the genie out of the bottle as they say but we've covered this topic before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what's really missing in our lives is the background music. You'd be better able to tell if someone's up to no good, also a laugh track couldn't hurt, Lord knows alot of workplaces need one. This way when my friend and I go to the mall and go in a store, no background music no worry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be like Life imitating Art too much, so it'll never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. alas. We can also have a Rod Serling kind of guy step out from behind a pillar when things don't make sense and Life gets a little weird.

    ReplyDelete