Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Not voting as an act of conscience

I've never built my own personal philosophy around platitudes, first off they're often nuggets of false wisdom and there's also that faint whiff of conformity about them, the best distillation that groupthink has to offer but you can have your VSOP. For instance you often hear it said that it's your patriotic duty to vote and as an extension of this if you don't vote you have no right to complain. I disagree in this sense, let's say you sincerely feel both candidates would do damage to the country, you're not voting for the lesser of two evils anymore, you've conscientiously thought it through, turned it over, stretched it inside out and come to the same conclusion. In such a limited case, and I'm not talking here about young'ens who don't vote 'cause they're lazy, in this restricted scenario I hold that not voting can be an act of conscience. It's kind of like a person who never marries or ain't marrying anytime soon, sure he/she can do like everyone else and vet candidates they can live comfortably with, someone strongly likeable but the purist would insist you really should be in love with someone before you marry them and if he ain't feeling that amorous about anyone of late than not marrying can be a personal act of conscience albeit a painful one at times, better to be lonely for a bit than not be pure at heart. Stands to reason you should be "in love" with a candidate first before you pull the lever for him or her, of course the Obama-ites are enraptured but what about our side? Sean is only getting jiggy with it because he's such a party hound. I'm turning Conventional Wisdom on its head here, that's the Z-man thing, an outside the box kind of deal and the possibility is always there that I won't vote this time around. It's that remote option for most of us because we don't like to be held in contempt but I've always been the type to hold to an opinion even if 9 others disagree with me. As Benjamin Disraeli once said "the majority is usually wrong."

9 comments:

  1. Bear in mind Beth it's a theoretical scenario at this point and hopefully rare so tell me why I'm wrong. Let's say you have a succession of bosses at work and they all suck in their own little ways and they ask you who's your favorite? I ain't playing that game anymore. If I were a moderate McCain would probably be my guy although I just thought of something, even if I were a lib Obama wouldn't be my guy. I was reading the other day about when the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act came up and even Hillary and Teddy Kennedy voted for it but Obama did not!!! it's a vibe thing and his ain't good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some times I wonder why I am so afraid that NOBAMA might win. Let's face it, he has a much better chance than McCain of dying in office! You know that TV show about the most dangerous jobs? My vote goes to Secret Service people in charge of protecting him, especially if he wins! So, that's just one more good reason for me not to vote for him, I might be saving his life and the lives of some Secret Service members! It's my patriotic duty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not wrong at all Z. As you say people think those who don't vote can't complain, well I think in not voting THAT is your complaint right there, that you have NOBODY good to vote for!

    But let's say you hold your nose to vote for the perceived lesser of two evils, and your guy wins and is a terrible president, then you would feel responsible for putting him in the Oval Office!

    I'm with you, vote for conscience! If that means not voting at all, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably vote for a 3rd party and I just read the title of Daniel's latest blog on that subject and definitely have something to blog about today. Now I don't get the libs' Palin obsession but by the same token what I don't get is if you don't like McCain to begin with how does having her on the ticket make you like him even more? Hey Beth here's a real nightmare scenario, somewhere down the road you have a Dem presidential candidate who's pro-abortion of course going up against a real RINO who's also pro-choice, now if ever there's a case where my conscience clause kicks in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Z!

    I just posted a blog about your view on voting vs. Daniel, called "The Tale of Two Conservatives."

    Daniel has gone too far this time, he has been slowly slipping into the abyss of moderation and now he is fully there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta read that one, thanx! I can understand being practical up to a point, they say even under Reagan spending was out of control but look at the rest of the package we got, but for starters the whole global warming thing McCain is pushing means more government control and regulation of business for one thing...frustrating...today McCain, tomorrow someone even more liberal? Again would most Dems preach pragmatics if their nominees turned out to be rather, oh I don't know, conservative?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then there is this idiot commentor at Daniel's blog, the Republican version of napqueen, calling me all sorts of names for questioning Daniel's post. I mean whatever happened to just plain old point/counter-point type discussions? Why all the name calling? It just makes you look like a loser who has no actual point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Disraeli? Old ubiquitous pick-a-quote?
    ..A Conservative Government is an organized hypocrisy.
    ..Damn your principles! Stick to your party.
    ..In politics nothing is contemptible.
    ..No Government can be long secure without a formidable Opposition.
    And as for me looking up old Benjamin's thoughts,
    ..Plagiarists, at least, have the merit of preservation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. but I still like his quote about the majority, maybe next time I'll put a footnote next to it.

    ReplyDelete