Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is personally opposed really that personally opposed?

It's quite fashionable these days to say you're personally opposed to abortion, wouldn't have one or be a party to one yourself, your personal position so to speak but then say the government has to stay out of the Woman's Decision, your political position. Here's why I don't believe these people and it has to do with the psychological aspect of human emotion. ThruMyEyes recently commented at my own blog that she is against abortion herself on a moral level but then engaged in your typical pro-abortion argumentation and pushed the line that women's lives would be at stake if abortion were made illegal again. So here's where it gets questionable and murky at least for me, there seems to be no feeling or real passion behind their "personally opposed" position, it's more a technical line you'd find in a DVD manual otherwise why adopt the talking points of the abortion lobby? TAO does this too all the time but this begs the question if they feel as they say that abortion is the taking of an innocent human life then what does it matter if the taking of that life be done in a safe and legal manner or not (safe for whom?)? I remember years ago when the godfather of this argument, former NY Governor Mario Cuomo, appeared at some pro-abortion conference or other and stated from the podium "everyone here knows my position" but this begs the other question if pro-life has any emotional or spiritual resonance with you from a purely psychological standpoint why would you even associate with such people? This is not the same thing as judging them or getting personal but it'd be like if I as a pro-lifer were seen hobnobbing with the choicers at some Planned Parenthood conference having scones and tea people would question it and with good reason, I'd be on PageSix for cryin' out loud.

Today is strictly a no TV day for me, I'd sooner meditate on the grease spot on the ceiling. OK, I get the coverage today but all day yesterday too on the Eve? They finally pulled that plane up from the Hudson River and so I popped on the Today show yesterday before heading out to work but it was all about the Preparations. I don't think any other president in recent memory got this kind of treatment. Since I have today off they asked me at work would I watch the coverage and so I gave a polite answer which was basically no, I'm not a stay-at-home person anyway. Come to think of it I have to get a pack of gum in Poughkeepsie.

4 comments:

  1. The only TV today for me would be American Idol, I am hoping it won't be pre-empted by The Coverage.

    I don't get the argument either about being personally opposed to abortion, its not on the same level as well I don't like cigarette smoke but you can smoke just not around me (that seems to be these people's way of thinking here, you know?) There is a human life at stake, it's not about personal preferences here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the last time I went more than 24 hours with no TV. It didn't even kill me. I figure if they spent over$150 million on it, they wasted at least $100 million. Remember Bush spent $40 million and that was way over the top, according to the libs., so add a little for inflation and-----they wasted an extra $100 million this go-round. Could have fed a shit load of poor people with that kind of coin. Egotistical asshole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the libs can spend money like there's no tomorrow but that's ok. Beth here's what I don't get. Now Obama once spoke to a Planned Parenthood conference and made that promise about signing FOCA into law. Now as should be known by now pro-choice is Obama's political position, it doesn't take any guts to say you're pro-choice these days, but if his personal position is one of pro-life although he hasn't really spoken on this yet what in blazes is he even doing speaking at a pro-abortion conference? See what I mean Beth? They're all a full of shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're all a full of shit.

    Yup.

    ReplyDelete