Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Let me tell you what was happening on the Glenn Beck Program today

Beth got me turned on to him and so I sampled a little more today and he seemed like a different Beck but I'll get to that in a sec. So they made fun of him on SNL, that show is so lame and so well past its prime that unless Tina Fey was involved it doesn't even merit a blip. OK so today Beck was talking about the federal government may force your kids to get the new Swine Flu vaccine and he was talking about all those mothers who say HELL NO!! So Beck and his sidekick were hashing this out, this massive distrust of the government thing. Beck said it's not healthy and he divided the mistrusters into two main groups: those who think the government is incompetent and those who think the government is up to something nefarious.

FOLKS, Beck ain't immune to criticism either, he's human and by taking on a kind of fringe element here that even he disagrees with he looks moderate and reasonable by comparison. Point of this blog is not to say Beck is extreme himself but that's the common assumption and perception that's out there thanks in large part to the media although he does use actual quotes of people in making his case, Obama's past statements in interviews about the Constitution doesn't address income redistribution for instance, that's a pretty Marxist thing to say and no SNLer can bury it with parody. So on today's radio show if you just tuned in for the first time and had no clue as to who Glenn Beck is Beck sounded like someone taking on all those folks who distrust the federal government (POT - KETTLE - BLACK) but in answer to Beck's own question why are all these Moms saying no to vaccinating their children two words -- TUSKEGEE AND MKULTRA. We all know what Tuskegee was all about but for those of you who are new to MKULTRA this was an ultrasecret project of the CIA in the '50s and '60s that involved among other things dosing different sectors of the US population with LSD without their knowledge and studying the results (I'm still waiting for some conservative feedback over this, perhaps in a future Jonah Goldberg column?). So am I on the same side as these Moms who think the government is up to something James Bondish with the new Swine Flu vaccine? not in a million years but understand root causes here and am surprised Beck didn't bring them up. Yes righties, actual conspiracies do exist on occasion, the Moon does enter its blue phase every now and then.

Is Beck losing his cojones? If you find them will you please return them?

13 comments:

  1. I don't care if there isn't any conspiracy involved or not. The fact of the matter is that someone's child is not the property of the state PERIOD. It is for this very reason that when the state of California was making attempts to criminalize homeschooling parents, I made a similar argument.

    Seriously....Atlas needs to blow out his ACL on both knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't ask that question if you watched or listened to Beck on a regular basis, he only seeks answers and truth and looks to the Constitution as his guiding force. He is not afraid to say what's on his mind. I thank God for Glenn Beck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with soapie on this, it's the word force that bothers us libertarians. Beth it's just my opinion that he chose the topic he did yesterday for a number of reasons one of which was to show that he's really not that radical, he's really not that anti-government. Sorry but I always feel people do things for a reason and I have listened to him enough to know he speaks his mind but he just seemed on a different tangent yesterday is my feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still feeling my way around Beck though some might say those Moms suspicious of the government vaccine program, well they were probably Beck listeners to begin with and just imbibed what he says everyday and came up with, well a conspiracy theory,

    just sayin':)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beck indeed is doing some good work and raising some very good issues. Regardless, at the end of the day people need to wade through it all and think independently rather than simply rehash what they heard Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, et al. say.

    Certainly some of them have more credibility than do others. Which of course begs the question what the hell Hannity is still doing on the air waves.

    "Conservative Underground"

    "Conservatism in Exile"

    JHC you have got to be friggin' kidding me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following Beck for several months--he has a passion for freedom and our US Constitutional government...plus-- he uses visuals on his FOX TV show--which I appreciate-being an artist...and I think it helps us to understand the convoluted -corruption that has become our government ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far I see Beck's strongest point being he uses actual quotes of people in making his case. I mean it's one thing to have a vague feeling Obama's some sort of Marxist but to use the quote he did the other day, well then don't just refute Beck but refute the quote and yet I agree with soapie here. Now I hear the White House has a blog just to refute the things Beck is saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should buy his latest book, Z!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mean Arguing with Idiots. I will definitely browse through it on my next stop at Borders. He was reading excerpts from it the other day. Only problem is I would have chosen another title. I know people who support periodic rises in the mininum wage for instance and I don't consider them idiots. Must everything be so combative?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like the picture on the front? He's the Book Czar, so you MUST buy his book!

    Titles need to grab your attention sometimes, I like the title myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw it at Barnes & Noble the other day and had to laugh at the back cover. Now usually authors print brief positive squibs to tout their book but Beck got the worst comments about him from assorted lefties and printed them on the back part, absolutely hilarious!!! Nothing angers libs more than the use of humor, WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another thing about the title, you know its a non-partisan thing, he is not calling Democrats or liberals or Republicans "idiots" but just making an overall commentary against arguments that are stupid because they are wrong, or misguided, or what have you. Just bringing up the facts to counter those idiotic arguments from whomever. The picture on the back cover is also great, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well the Westchester Library System is doing a complete computer system upgrade today, computers not available to the general public so I went to the neighboring county of Putnam and am doing my blogging in the lovely town of Mahopac so after this morning won't be online again until tomorrow. I AM picking up Beck's book later today especially for my Mom. I get your point about idiots, I work with them.

    ReplyDelete