Sunday, January 31, 2010

Catcher in the Rye - some thoughts

He died this past Wednesday on January the 27th at the ripe old age of 91 (LSD founder Albert Hoffman had him beat by a few years) so Catcher's in the news again. The novel has passed the test of time although I had an English professor in college once who said it was ok but he didn't know what all the fuss was about. Since we've been talking about it since 1951 when it was first published clearly author J.D. Salinger tapped into something but WHAT exactly? something in the existential ether. Clearly when even the psychos liked your work you've struck a chord (Mark David Chapman and John Hinckley were said to have carried copies to their missions) which is another thing, what to do when psychos enjoy reading your work and get something out of it? ain't exactly the best blurbs to put on your jacket. In fact if the novel were written or updated for today's world it'd be not just everyone's a f*n phony but everyone's a psycho like lately I've noticed that anybody who disagrees with me in my day-to-day is just a wee bit too serious. Take today at work, the bakery guy goes don't take my trays, you have your own which in and of itself is a perfectly valid point but it's the way he said it, getting in your face until like my friend says you're looking for something to defend yourself with should the need arise, can I throw flour in his face? But anyway any resemblances with my blog to Holden Caulfield is purely coincidental. You want your themes of angst and alienation, the occasional existential meltdown it's all here so where's my literary validation?? It's been said the protagonist is a cynical outcast, that's what my library display memorializing Salinger's passing tells me but that'd be ME. I hate social obligations: as soon as I go to a wake I want to leave. It's nothing personal but I saw the dead guy already and I'm sure he'd want me to leave too. Observations on Society: like it's often the women who are the most sexual, who show the most cleavage who are most likely to call the cops should the wrong guy pursue. It's not the tits for God's sake, it's the phoniness ("madam your melons are falling off the table"). Take organized religion: the confessional is an invasion of my privacy. Why does the priest have to know what my left hand did last night? do I ask him how to make altar boy pudding? My blog comes from the heart (or the gut). I am ANGRY folks and it's everything, I can't go through a whole day without some vibe in my being getting plucked the wrong way like when you hear your boss say so-and-so doesn't like to work which is a totally wrong framing of the issue. Getting up and going to work everyday is a form of discipline, nobody except your boss insists you have to like it as long as you show up for work every day and do what's required. I don't ask the tolltaker on I-87 if he likes his job or not, it's irrelevant. There are other things...

Yes I am HE.

9 comments:

  1. Can you select the Psycho? Take the free psycho quiz below to check it out;

    Click Here to Take The Psychos Quiz

    Dating Psychos is a place to post what you know about your ex psychos

    Click Here to Add and Check Out the Psychos

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL

    Psycho of the Week (POTW) kind of along the lines of Asshat of the Week. Caveat emptor,let the buyer beware as they say.

    Here's the trend I'm noticing. There are more people who are spooky, more and more folks are Off-Center and I work in a spooky work environment. I'm beginning to think maybe Al-qaeda (or is that al-Qaeda?) got us through the water supply, something more subtle and far more insidious than 9-11. Well ya gotta come up with some theory to explain our increase in psychos. Excuse me while I go check out those websites again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting back to Catcher and there are many interpretations but mine is this: if you can come up with the overriding theme of the novel maybe it is this - the mainstream is wrong - and Holden Caulfield represents sanity. I'd like to hear soapie's take (and BB consult your Cliff's Notes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, OK Z-man. Not being a warm fuzzy connoisseur of novels, but having suffered through English 175
    'Development of the English Novel'
    back in '62 or thereabouts, my only observation was that Catcher In The Rye seemed somehow similar to Henry Fielding's 'Tom Jones'.
    Acting on your excellent advice,
    I went to the cheatsheets ..
    ..where they also noted that similarity, that the 'plot and structure were picaresque'..realistic in manner and satiric in aim. Afraid I will have to leave character analysis to you guys, my forte being analysis of chemical explosives of various initiator/detonator devices. (Where, thankfully, there is only one right answer!)
    ..(and I suppose the wrong answer
    is punisible by..well, you know) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, speakin' of alter boy Puddin', here's the theme song for that.....
    http://www.soundlift.com/band/music.php?song_id=82930

    ReplyDelete
  6. B it's been a while since I read the novel and I only read it once and that was years ago. Said to my friend the other day kinda surprised they didn't make a movie about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still waiting for the movie of Atlas Shrugged, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah like it's been in the works for years. First Angelina Jolie was gonna play Dagny, now it's Charlize Theron. First it was gonna be a movie and now it might get serialized for tv but we're still waiting and look at all the other crap they churn out year after year. I mean was there a public demand for a movie version of The Dukes of Hazzard?

    ReplyDelete