Saturday, February 06, 2010

The Avatar Phenomenon

Haven't seen it yet. My friend did, he's really into this kind of stuff but if anything they come out on DVD so fast now I'll probably see it then at my leisure. Yeah my friend thought it was great and all, definitely a watchable flick but this James Cameron guy saying he had this concept of the blue humanoids since he was a kid, trying to give it that old artiste edge, the creative genius who had to wait literally years for IT to all come together like it's the greatest opus of all time or something. Yeah right!! my friend said he probably had some weird acid trip and just wrote it all down afterwards. Highest grossing film of all time surpassing even his previous work Titanic and I'm sure when the DVD finally does come out it'll be chock loaded with Extra Features including that annoying option of watching the movie with the acclaimed director's commentary throughout. They always have those extra 10 unedited minutes too like I hear Mel Gibson has an extended version of The Passion where you can see Jesus getting scourged for a few extra minutes or so. Anyway wha'd'ya think?

5 comments:

  1. Z-man, I'm thinking you ain't exactly an Opus Dei type...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen it and don't have plans to see it. But, earlier this week, I did have the pleasure of going to see the Beck/O'Reilly Bold Fresh Tour at the movie theater, and O'Reilly joked that some kids thinking they were going to see Avatar would walk into the wrong theater and see him and oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it. The 3D was really wild. It's certainly come a long way since Jaws that's for sure. Visually it was a really wild ride (as I'm certain Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in 3D will be as well).

    The movie as a whole though wasn't anything that great. It was everything you'd expect from a major blockbuster (PREDICTABLE).

    Never saw Titanic though I'm told it was good. I'm not a big movie theatre guy. I'll wait for DVD but then more often than not I tend to forget about them once they hit the shelves. That is sorta what happened with Titanic and of course once it got to be so thick with the masses, it came to be such a turn off for me.

    I get a kick out of mentioning, when it gets bandied around, that I've never seen it. Of course jaws hit the floor and I have to say that is about as entertaining as I suppose the movie itself is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only one who didn't see Titanic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw snippets but never watched the thing in toto, kind of the way I watch things these days. Didn't see The DaVinci Code either though they said it was good. Generally if Winona Ryder's in a movie I'll watch it.

    ReplyDelete