Wednesday, October 19, 2011

McDonaldizing the gangster

It's soon to be in production but John Travolta is gonna star in a new biopic about the late John Gotti. I'm kind of past this stage in my life, for me the genre of the mobster peaked with The Godfather trilogy. I'm so into other stuff and on a really slow Friday nite (showing my age since I'm not clubbing) I'll dig Sam and Dean on Supernatural even though I have no idea what the hell is going on. Heh, Simon showing his human side on The X Factor last night by apologizing to a contestant he just booted and bringing her back into the fold. He's losing his edge, he's been McDonaldized too. Flicks glamorize a life of crime, Burger King could have soda cups with Gotti et al on 'em and Moms would buy 'em for their kids. We've lost our moral compass. Few months back there was a major and I mean major federal roundup of some major mobsters and folks were writing letters to the New York Post all angry at the feds, leave the guys alone! I really don't do gangster blogs since, who knows a gangster might be reading this right now but it's how I feel. Been rereading parts of Maury Terry's Ultimate Evil since updated and some weird shit went down in Yonkers in the '70s and '80s. Seems some Satanic cult had regular meetings in Untermyer Park on North Broadway and killed some German Sheperds and left 'em on the Aqueduct, Berkowitz may have been involved. Personally know of stories of hospital workers at St. John's seeing the torches and hearing the chanting on some evenings, 'magine you're a patient who just had some major work done and you're recuperating and you lurch towards the window by the River and see some stuff. Been kinda sporadically blogging of late more like a hobby, the old work schedule again. Went to the biggest bookstore I've ever been in my life yesterday, the two-decker job with escalators Barnes & Noble in Poughkeepsie on Rte. 9, didn't buy anything but it was an experience. Is it just my imagination but are stores getting bigger? maybe I can do my walk there. Going home now to enjoy some fine African Rooibos Red Tea, good for the allergies:)

5 comments:

  1. Well I did notice you blog less but that's OK, we all get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celestial Seasonings makes some nice rooibos teas. They have one that has a picture of a lion on the box that my Guru Maharaj calls Nrshimadeva tea.... it's getting to be that tea time of year again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, spotted this in my email today, Andy Borowitz, thought you might enjoy it.

    December 03, 2011 at 07:30 PM
    Rhinebeck, NY!

    Andy will perform and sign copies of his new book, The 50 Funniest American Writers. RSVP is required for this free event. RSVP to rsvp@oblongbooks.com or call 845-876-0500.

    Location:
    Oblong Books & Music, 6422 Montgomery, Rhinebeck, NY
    For tickets go to Oblong Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went with the Twinings Rooibos I bought at the A&P but I see there's many different brands out there. Kinkeliba, another fave African tea of mine but hard to find unless you go to an African market, hoping it becomes more mainstream someday. Rhinebeck will always be remembered as the place Chelsea Clinton got hitched.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sat have you read that Son of Sam book The Ultimate Evil? It's interesting for its references to Yonkers and upper Westchester alone. Keith Richards apparently had some type of hideway up in North Salem or something and there was cultish activity there too. Anyway when I got the softcover and read the updated epilogue I didn't know that at one time many years ago I was somewhat acquainted with one of the young men who was alleged to be in that Satanic cult. Good looking I guess as the women seemed to go for him but had his problems, said someone gave him LSD while he was in prison. With this little bit of knowledge I reread parts of Maury Terry's book with a more critical eye. This young man lived in the same apartment complex as David Berkowitz and later took his own life after saying to co-workers they're after him. Terry sees this as evidence of a Yonkers Satanic cult at work with national connections but a sensible alternate theory at least is that the acid made the tragic young man paranoid or maybe a cult member gave him the spiked food or drink no? The book has its strengths and weaknesses and would be way too long to review in a blog but I think this subject deserves another treatment by another author and see what we get. Of course I'm always interested in the latest offerings in the conspiracy field anyway.

    ReplyDelete