Friday, November 03, 2006

Political 'hos

Hillary was talking again about the importance of religion in society, went to some black church the other day and rapped about the need for parents and rules and discipline (except of course minors who get abortions without their Mom and Dad's knowledge). In my neck of the woods we have Westchester State Senator Nick Spano in NY who used to be pro-life until he sold his soul to Planned Parenthood. In his ads he highlights that he is a steadfast supporter of abortion rights which got me thinking, whatever happened to the Krauthammer Model on abortion? Charles Krauthammer is a mostly conservative commentator who once wrote what I thought was a very seminal piece that, even though politically abortion should remain legal it should have a negative social stigma attached to it and pro-lifers should be given as much latitude as possible to talk women out of it. As I am pro-life I can't fully endorse his views here but what is very worthwhile in my opinion is the stigma part. I could even see a politician saying something along these lines, "I am reluctantly politically pro-choice but in my heart I feel abortion is wrong and so you won't catch me speaking before groups that are very active in enabling women to get abortions...yada yada yada", but we don't get this. It's like Hillary made a pact with the pro-aborts, you can talk your best conservative smack, rap violent video games and sex on tv all you want, just tow the pro-choice line is all we ask. And I would ask Nicky Spano do you ever have anything negative to say about abortion? There is a rebellion in our hearts over what we know to be true and it's this unacknowledged moral tension that has us bewildered and adrift, we don't know why we are so unhappy.

NY State Comptroller Alan Hevesi has an ad running touting the fact that he has been the author of 108 laws. So why is this something to be proud of? I think this is the main way people go about solving their problems today, go to their legislators, but I still make the case that a functioning society needs comparatively few laws. Yeah, as an early civilization evolves (think colonial America) you need your laws against murder and bank robbery, and then plagiarism comes up and libel and slander and yeah, you need some rules governing food establishments mainly along the lines of proper food temps for meats and general cleanliness but beyond this - WHAT? - and so this is the main reason why I'm not voting this year,

WE HAVE ENOUGH LAWS ALREADY! People who masturbate your mind

4 comments:

  1. Now ask yourself this question, of those 108 laws that Hevesi is proud to have claimed (I don't even know what they are to be honest, I have to work most of the time) how many were critically important to have been passed? Would the sun have failed to rise the next day if they weren't? In the days of the Founding Fathers those who served in Congress did not understand it to be a lifetime career, they went back to farming or whatever they did before after they felt they served the public trust. Not so today. Two years ago when NY State Senator Nick Spano won by a mere 18 votes over Democratic challenger Andrea Stewart-Cousins you could tell he was nervous during the endless recounting, probably had the hershey squirts alot. Like Lieberman once they get a taste of political power they don't want to go back to your average 9-5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can decide not to vote on Tuesday, but then I think you lose your right to complain about who wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What difference does it make, my general complaint is that they make too many laws and so what does it matter if I vote for my former mayor of Yonkers, John Spencer, he wants to fill Hillary's Senate seat so he can be instrumental in passing the laws he deems important as a Republican. We need to have a real debate in this country about all this. Presidential elections are something else again, they get to set foreign policy and go to war but why should I send people to Washington to pass more laws and intrude upon my life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Z-man, they are going to pass laws no matter who you vote for, wouldn't you rather the guy you like have the chance to be the one doing that?

    ReplyDelete