Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Subprime musings

Michelle Malkin has finally touched on the subprime mortgage meltdown in two recent columns and I've been asking myself why I didn't bash her in my blog the next day as your typical conservative lacking compassion. Well I considered her points carefully that oftentimes it's the would be homeowner with delusions of grandeur that's the problem here, not that there aren't any predatory lenders out there. I went back over my own situation with credit cards. Overall I have a good credit history but for a few years there I was living well beyond my means, had to have this and that and it caught up with me, maxed out and needed help paying 'em off. That's behind me now but I have made a personal decision in my life, I don't have them and I don't use them anymore, cash and checks for everything. It's all about personal responsibility and wise decision-making. I learned my lesson, will these people out of their "homes" learn theirs?

5 comments:

  1. Some people never learn, and when the government keeps bailing people out it certainly doesn't help them learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had family eventually bail me out after I've learned a hard lesson and this is what true conservatism should be about, not the McCain variety of Bigger Government but family and community coming to the aid of those in need. This is the Newt Gingrich model and maybe he saw the handwriting on the wall and that's why he didn't run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe you referred to big government as people's security blanket, so true, so true! People aren't willing to grow up and accept responsibility. The Democrats have made careers from it, now looks like the Republicans are following suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the kind of society we have right now and that's probably why McCain is on top. I do believe in helping people in true need however only not from the government. I've heard of parents whose kids are down on their luck and they give up on them, let them run away from home, kick them out, not good. My Mom and Dad were strict at times but they knew when to be compassionate too, there's a balance but the point is the State is not our Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rush calls it tough love but then he got caught up with the little blue babies behind Denny's, cut some kind of deal I guess and didn't really face the consequences of his actions that much but that's fine, point being sometimes justice can and should be tempered by mercy. Our experiences can make us more humble, not really a cheap shot, just a point.

    ReplyDelete