Wednesday, January 07, 2009

This begs the question

I was waiting for my friend yesterday and got talking to his brother, big Irish family, very churchgoing and I mentioned that at our parish they eliminated the 5PM Mass on Sunday, convenient for me anyway since I work Saturday and usually part of Sunday. So he goes "what are priests doing that they can't say the 5:00 Mass?" Are they going to a club? Went to a baptism recently and they now do them in groups, the ceremony's longer too as a result but that's ok, I can swing with the times but at this baptism a deacon baptized the kids so my question is what was the pastor doing at 2:00 on a Sunday afternoon that he couldn't do it himself? He doesn't have a woman in his life, at least not theoretically, God is their life so is one too many Masses or sacraments too much of an effort for them? Technically speaking priests don't have to even take a vow of poverty. When I was a kid growing up our pastor owned condos in Florida but imo this goes against the image of a man devoted to God. Had to help move things in the convent once and the sisters had this huge stereo TV system for starters, I never even had that and my Mom and Dad busted their humps their whole life. Whassup guys?

9 comments:

  1. I know you've pointed this out before, but just look at the Vatican.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's bad enough they're closing parishes in New York but getting rid of Masses as well? If this keeps up I'll have to build my own grotto and go there, I believe Mel Gibson did something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are "clustering" parishes here, too. And there are fewer priests, so I do think that is why the decline in Masses and using deacons for things such as Baptism. For those churches with one priest, not much time off when you've got daily Mass and other obligations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Technically speaking priests don't have to even take a vow of poverty. When I was a kid growing up our pastor owned condos in Florida but imo this goes against the image of a man devoted to God."

    Your perception is widely held and I'd even say there is a sizeable amount of truth to it. And, it's just one more thing about Catholicism that I find very odd.

    Man is essentially destined to a life of simple means (even poverty at times) has he works for the glory of god. Meanwhile, the Vatican and all of the other saintly churches are enshrined in immaculate gold and hold a plethora of valuable art etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not exactly sure what those other obligations are Beth. I know priests who have gotten involved politically in their neighborhoods like building low-income housing but geez if you have one or two old priests at a church surely they can squeeze in a baptism or two, it's not like they have a hot date or something although you never know, some chicks seem solely attracted to married men or men who are supposed to be celibate. Become a priest? maybe this could increase vocations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading in some book soapie as I was browsing in Barnes & Noble one day that the wealth in the Vatican really took off when Mussolini was in power, the writers said some kind of deal was made but I forget all the details. Don't get me wrong, I find the priceless works of art there interesting and culturally important but it does seem like a contradiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They visit the sick, give last rites, hear confessions.

    As for the Vatican, Soapie, I don't understand it, but I am not going to turn away from my faith because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, they do all that Beth but not all the time. Hospital chaplains I can understand but it just seems more holy when a priest does the baptism, you didn't have to wait several months in the past either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty much going to close up shop now and look for a bite to eat (although not at a diner). Continue on...

    ReplyDelete