Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Why is everything so gangster in this country?

I'm really getting into the dining experience of late. Yesterday hit this place in the sticks with my friend and we got this real old friendly waitress, real Lauren Bacall smokey voice like she might wind up in a casket in two weeks, it was definitely something out of a movie, oldtimers rapping about Obama and the economy and the fact that they were out of seafood even added a nice touch, it was all so human but anyway noted a couple things at some diners recently. One I've gone to a few times now and don't get me wrong I like speedy service but your food comes out way too quick. Say you order their big breakfast the waitress gives you USA Today or something to read and you see that Bill Richardson just withdrew his nomination and out she comes with your sunnyside eggs, whole wheat toast, sausage, Canadian bacon and hashed up potatoes the way I like 'em all IN 5 F'N MINUTES, no less even so what do they do nuke everything? They must have the components already as soon as you walk in the door but you like to think that at least your eggs are cracked fresh, hell I can do that at home. Then at another diner the food was ok, 1/2 a chicken but I could tell what kind of gravy was on the mashed potatoes, some chef who obviously hates his job poured a jar of Boston Market on top and didn't even bother to heat it up like he didn't want to go to work that day, didn't feel well that morning, didn't wipe enough and he's gliding and sliding all day but that ain't my problem. Basic Thuganomics. PAGING GORDON RAMSAY!!!

5 comments:

  1. You always have a lot to blog about after a day off, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to go to el bano, be back in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I go looking for stuff. The next to last leg on our journey was the Kensico Dam Plaza and you get to see a great big mighty dam up close. When we were at the Cranberry Lake Preserve we learned that the granite for this big project was quarried right there but when you're walking right there next to the dam you get the sense that this whole area is so geometric, it looks Roman even and I said to my friend they need to film a monster movie here AND a James Bond movie, the monster could be walking on top of the dam menacing the town. My friend came up with a great phrase yesterday, "simmering tension" as you can have in a family or at work. I love it, brings to mind percolating some coffee in the morning and the heat gets too much and it starts going all over the stove burner and the flame gets real high and orangey and you have to clean it. Simmering tension, it ain't there yet, it ain't at a full boil but it's getting going kind of like over at Danny's blog of late although I think the simmering phase was very brief and we got right down to business, happened around the holidays too just like those great family get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always sounds like you guys have an enjoyable time, whether you look for it or it finds you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. & always have your little journal ready as I keep saying. I've gone through three or four of them already.

    ReplyDelete