Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What really stands out about Patrick Swayze (1952-2009)

From Wikipedia:

"Personal life

Swayze was married to Lisa Niemi from June 12, 1975 until his death."

Ghost has got to be one of the most romantic movies of all time, a must have in any serious DVD collection. I really was hoping as we all were that he was going to kick this thing but I don't think they know how to treat cancer yet. You don't know which is worse, the cancer or the chemo but this has really turned into the Year of the Famous Dead Person -- Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson (they're STILL talking about it), pitchman Billy Mayes, Walter Cronkite and of course Ted Kennedy (and others I'm leaving out but those are the most prominent, you'd have to google the rest). I sure hope next year is less dark.

4 comments:

  1. I have seen too many die from cancer lately that I don't know what to think anymore. Not sure if its becoming resistent to treatment that used to work or what. I have worked on our local American Cancer Society's Relay for Life, which raises funds for cancer research but also celebrates survivorship, and the survivor ceremony part is moving and encouraging, but like I said lately I have experienced too much death and no surviving, so I am just very discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's clear we have to go another route. IMO we should have this thing beat by now and am just plain tired of reading about the latest death from cancer. Being part libertarian I'm all for taking whatever approach you want, if you want to go the alternative treatment way I'm all pro-choice, it's your life after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would venture to say that people like Farrah and Patrick Swayze had the money to seek the best doctors and any alternative treatment they could try, so I don't know that trying isn't the key here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, most of us can't fly over to Germany to the best clinics. Not saying the alternative treatments are any better than the chemo but shouldn't the cancer establishment itself at least be exploring alternative treatments instead of sameold/sameold?

    ReplyDelete