Friday, January 08, 2010

Liberal charity

I blogged about this back in the day but I wanna toss it around again. There was a time many years back I was really down on my luck, reached the bottom and I was looking back the other night (the spirits will do that t'ya every once in a while) and I concluded that the conservative people I knew and came across helped me out far more than my liberal brethren. Now this is purely anecdotal, it hardly passes the rigors of a scientific study but the only reason I bring it up is because these liberals that I knew proudly advertised themselves as liberals, would say things like all the money they spend to produce music videos could be put to better use like to help the homeless.

Zman (down on his luck calling a liberal he once knew): "Yeah hi (yada yada yada), I'm in a tough spot right now, any jobs in your area?"
Liberal: "I'll let you know. I have to go now, bye." (click/dial-tone)

Needless to say he never called back. The one time I was betrayed in Life involved a couple liberal people (not that most liberals betray but they're constantly tooting their own horns about how much more virtuous they are than conservatives). Some conclusions: maybe we are not the Sum Total of our political philosophies. TAO said something similar at his own blog the other day that maybe it doesn't really matter who's in the White House the Ship of State always seems to steer the same course, libs and conservatives once in office are kinda the same deal and I really didn't have a response at the time because I somewhat agree. The other conclusion: maybe conservatives take the Biblical mandates more seriously and the most recent study seems to bear this out, says they give to charity far more than liberals do. These libs I'm talking about strongly, passionately believed in the Welfare State yet when push came to shove wouldn't even loan you a twenty. My feelings: liberals are by now so well known for being caring, compassionate, sharing human beings that they no longer have to prove it. These lib associates of mine who never helped out, I never called them on it of course but if one were to they'd probably proudly point to their voting records when in reality they were really living the Creed of Ayn Rand.

OR maybe they don't help out conservatives down on their luck, dunno. I only mention my anecdote because it doesn't fit the usual liberal/conservative paradigm.

4 comments:

  1. Liberal charity is the antithesis of compassion Z. Why, there's nothing compassionate about taking money from people by force and giving it to someone else no matter how deserving they may be.

    Your assessment is spot on my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liberals basically view government as a charity so they've been giving to the world's greatest charity all their lives through their taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I truly believe with my whole heart that Jesus would not agree with liberalism. He would think that helping people through force is wrong, but that giving out of love is right. Since I don't know anyone who loves paying taxes, then there you go, case closed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually came across one liberal in life who not only loves paying taxes but feels they should go up. Now that's a real dyed-in-the-wool liberal so here's my idea. Let HIM give away his paycheck every week to his favorite charity but I get to keep mine.

    ReplyDelete